John Elder
John Elder, Estate & Elder Law
Experience:  Over 14 years experience in Medicaid, Estates, Trust.
18914223

bank in new york city needs a letter of testamentary-there is will i am the executor,am i

Customer Question

bank in new york city needs a letter of testamentary-there is will i am the executor,am i forcing myself to probate the will?

i need a letter testamentary for bank in new york-i am the executer of the will can i get letter from surrogate court with out probating will?
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  John Elder replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for trusting Just Answer. I will answer as clearly as possible. I do ask for you Accept my answer so I am paid when we are done.

Unfortunately no. You must probate the will with the surrogate court to get your letters testamentary.

If the assets are minimal then you may be able to file a small estate so that you have a limited, easier probate.

http://www.nycourts.gov/forms/surrogates/smallestate.shtml

I am cannot provide you with specific legal advise. I can provide you with general information about the law related to your inquiry. My answer, and any information that you can find online, should not take the place of having a detailed consultation with a lawyer in your area to advise you regarding your specific issues.

I hope you find my response helpful, please click on the ACCEPT button. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work assisting you. Clicking Accept will not close your question. You can still ask, and I will respond, to follow-up questions if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required but they are appreciated!

When you review my initial response, please remember that I cannot guess what information you may already know unless you tell me. I am answering the question(s) posed by you based upon my reading of your post and sometimes I can misunderstand or misinterpret your question. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please rephrase your specific question.

Sometimes the law does not support what you would like it to support. It is my job to give you an understanding of the state of the law, not just tell you what you want to hear. I ask that you respect that fact that you received an accurate account of the law by clicking Accept and giving me positive feedback.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more between my responses to your follow up questions because I may be helping other customers or have stepped away.

Finally, I appreciate repeat customers. You can request me by beginning your question with “Dear XXXXX…”

John Elder, Estate & Elder Law
Experience: Over 14 years experience in Medicaid, Estates, Trust.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
VERY DISAPPOINTED IN YOUR ANSWER ,FORTY-FIVE DOLLARS WAS WASTED!
I am happy to follow up if you have specific questions for me to clarify.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
do n.y.c courts demand that the will be probated before they give me a letter of testamentary?
Yes. You are required to go through the small estate with the probate of the will. If there is a Will then you must probate it to get letters testamentary. The process can be completed using the link that I sent you. Your other option is to go down to the surrogates court in the county where the person died.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i paid forty-five dollars already,the last reply was the answer to my question i am not going to pay ninety dollars!
No, no, no. I am just following up to your initial question. You are only paying the initial deposit. Follow up questions do NOT cost you more.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you.

Your welcome!