Richard, Attorney
Experience:  29 years of experience practicing law, including tax and estate planning.
17027240

what happens if you do not file probate?

Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Richard replied 4 years ago.

Good morning. It depends upon what's in the estate. If the estate has assets that need to be accessed like bank accounts or stock accounts or title that needs to be transferred such as cars or real property, you won't be able to transfer them. But, if all the assets have designated beneficiaries or were held in joint accounts that transfer automatically or the estate has only personal property, then nothing happens and you really don't need to go through probate.

I hope this has given you information that has been helpful to you. I wish you the best of luck!

If you have a follow-up question, please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping others or taking a break.

If I have adequately answered your question, even though the answer might not have been the one for which you hoped, I would appreciate it if you would please click the GREEN ACCEPT button so that I receive credit for my work; otherwise, though you have made a deposit, I do not receive credit.

If you need additional clarification on this question after clicking ACCEPT, please do not hesitate to click Reply and I will be happy to do what I can to help you further. Thanks for allowing me to be of service to you.

Please be aware that the information provided here is not legal advice. Rather it is simply general information. All states have intricacies in their laws and any information given is simply information only and specifically is not intended to be, nor does it constitute, legal advice. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship with you. I hope this answer has been helpful to you.