Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Estate Law Expert

What is the time frame for filing probate on an estate in Oklahoma

What is the time frame for filing probate on an estate in Oklahoma? Who can file the probate? Does it have to be the living children or can it be the grandchildren of the deceased?
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 5 years ago.
What do you mean by "what is the time frame"?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
How long after a person dies, does the family have to file the estate in probate?
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 5 years ago.
I don't think OK has a time limit but it should be done as soon as possible.

The OK probate rules are at and none of those set a specific time. Many states don't have a time limit and those that do it is generally two years at the very least.

As to the other questions any "interested party" can petition to admit the will. That would include any heir or potential heir, which includes the grandchildren.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you. As you know, we work on the honor system here and cannot always provide you answers that you like. I believe I have answered all of the questions you asked so I would request that you please click the ACCEPT button so I receive credit for my work and leave feedback if you have a chance. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done, although this is neither required nor expected. I believe in giving information that is to the point, but please remember that I can only base our answers on the information you provide and sometimes a misunderstanding as to what you are looking for or already know occurs so feel free to ask additional questions or for clarifications. Be very careful about looking at other internet sites that just post generic information without any inquiry into your facts because often those answers are dated, wrong, or wrong as applied to your facts. Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely information. You should always contact a local attorney for legal advice.

Several customers have asked how they direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to provide information for you just put “FOR JD 1992” in the subject line and I will pick up the next time I am online.