lwpat, Attorney at Law
Experience:  Attorney with experience in wills, estates and trusts

What exactly is a letter of special administration My father

What exactly is a letter of special administration? My father died last fall, with a trust and will that he changed on his deathbed (long story). He named his fiance as executor of his estate, with my stepsister as successor trustee. I got a letter today from the fiance's attorney that there's a hearing for a letter of special administration coming up in a couple weeks. My stepsister has been handling everything as successor trustee up until now. This is taking place in California...
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  lwpat replied 5 years ago.
An interested party may petition the court for Letters of Special Administration. These letters appoint a personal representative (executor) of the estate for a limited time and for a limited purpose. These letters can authorize the executor to carry out a specific transaction, such as the payment of a hospital bill or the collection of a debt on behalf of the estate. You would need to contact the attorney to find out why there has been a request to appoint a special administrator.