Ask Attorney & Mediator Your Own Ques...
Attorney & Mediator
Attorney & Mediator, Attorney
Experience:  Have experienced in the subject matter.
1723468

An estate recovery company has just informed me that I stand

An estate recovery company has just informed me that I stand to inherit several thousand dollars from the estate of an aunt who died in 1990 in North Carolina. This company wants to purchase my waiver of all rights for approximately 1/4 of the value of the inheritance. How difficult should it be for me to recover/claim the full value of this inheritance for myself, and will I need the services of an attorney to do so? Thanks.
How difficult should it be for me to recover/claim the full value of this inheritance for myself, and will I need the services of an attorney to do so?

The answer to your question would depend on the amount of debt your aunt left. Typically an estate recovery company is there to collect on a lien such as for medicaid. An heir cannot inherit until all debts of the estate have been resolved, either by payment in full or by negotiating a lower debt amount. Once the debts are taken care of and a final accounting is done, can the balance of the estate be passed on to its heirs. Unless you feel confident with the process of probate or negotiating, it is best to have an estate attorney assist. It is possible to get more of the inheritance if you negotiate a settlement pay off.

Please click accept, and I can help with further questions if you have them.

_______________________________________________

Please Note: JustAnswer.com is a public forum. JustAnswer.com is not a law firm. JustAnswer.com is only a question and answer site. Asking a question does not create an attorney-client relationship nor is your question protected under the attorney-client privilege. An attorney-client relationship is established when you enter into written contract for representation and pay a retainer directly with the attorney or attorney’s firm.

JustAnswer.com uses the term “Expert”. I do not hold myself as an expert when I answer your questions. The information given by me is not legal advice. I am not establishing an attorney-client relationship with you. I am providing only research, resources and information only for you to be informed and educated about your particular needs and my answer is limited to the facts presented. You are only paying me for such information given.

My answer or reply is limited to your facts presented and additional information you post may not come in after my reply or answer has posted, if this has occurred please let me know and I will answer further. Due to site tech reasons, oftentimes I am initially only able to see the first part of your post, so this may result in more interactions between us. There might also be a delay in my reply or answers, as I may be helping other customers, or called away from my office or have logged off. Please be assured your question(s) will be answered promptly.

If I have been helpful, please click Accept for my time and research, this is the only way I get paid. If you need more help or clarification, please click reply. Positive Feedback is greatly appreciated and reciprocated. Feedback should relate to customer service and not about the law, which I have no control over. You can always request me through my profile here or beginning your question with “Attention lawNinvest” Thank you.