Daniel Solutions
Daniel Solutions, Attorney
Experience:  Practicing Attorney for over 20 years and College Professor for over 10 years

How long does a probate stay open And, who close a probate

How long does a probate stay open ? And, who close a probate ? The lawyer or the courts ? Thanks !!!
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Daniel Solutions replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for allowing us to assist you with this problem. I am not fully aware of what prior steps you have taken.

There is no specific time that a probate estate MUST stay open. It just need to remain open a sufficient amount of time to pay debts and distribute assets after the debts have been paid. The Executor and Lawyer is there is one with court permission is the person to close the estate.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The probate has been open since Oct 5, 2009. Every thing has been taken care of, so I cannot understand why my lawyer has not taken care of the closing.
The best way is to just ask the lawyer. Perhaps he is concerned with a possible outstanding claim or possibility of a claim for instance a medical expense.