Ask Attorney & Mediator Your Own Ques...

Attorney & Mediator
Attorney & Mediator, Attorney
Experience:  Have experienced in the subject matter.

My mother just passed away and Im not certain what my responsibility

My mother just passed away and I'm not certain what my responsibility is relative to her assets. I am the executor (was also the power of attorney before death). She has lived with me for the last 7 years. Her only asset is a financial investment that is around $50,000, from which the funeral and associated hospital and hospice costs will take the balance down to about $15,000. I'd like to just handle this myself, but not sure if there are laws that must be followed. I don't envision any issues with the family. Mom had a will that will have me split what's remaining amongst her five kids.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Attorney & Mediator replied 3 years ago.
Sorry to hear about your mother's passing.

Unless your name appears in those obligations, a child is not responsible for mom's debts. As the executor and since there is a will you are obligated to do probate. Now if the total of the estate is valued at $25,000 (not including real estate) you can transfer the estate by filing a small estate affidavit. From the information provided the estate appears to be greater $50,000, so formal probate would be necessary.

The probate process varies and would depend on the county she lived in when she died.

As to your obligations you essentially are responsible to provide notices of mom's death to her creditors, file the petition for probate and get court orders appointing you the executor. Again you get these forms through the court clerk or there are self-help books which can guide you through the process. You are also responsible for paying any taxes and doing a final accounting before any balance of the estate is distributed to the heirs. Below is the TN codes regarding the administration of an estate.

Title 30
Administration of Estates
Chapter 1 Executors and Administrators
Chapter 2 Management, Settlement and Distribution
Chapter 3 Absentees' Estates
Chapter 4 Small Estates
Chapter 5 Insolvent Estates

Please click accept, and I can help with further questions if you have them.

_______________________________________________

Please Note: JustAnswer.com is a public forum. JustAnswer.com is not a law firm. JustAnswer.com is only a question and answer site. Asking a question does not create an attorney-client relationship nor is your question protected under the attorney-client privilege. An attorney-client relationship is established when you enter into written contract for representation and pay a retainer directly with the attorney or attorney’s firm.

JustAnswer.com uses the term “Expert”. I do not hold myself as an expert when I answer your questions. The information given by me is not legal advice. I am not establishing an attorney-client relationship with you. I am providing only research, resources and information only for you to be informed and educated about your particular needs and my answer is limited to the facts presented. You are only paying me for such information given.

My answer or reply is limited to your facts presented and additional information you post may not come in after my reply or answer has posted, if this has occurred please let me know and I will answer further. Due to site tech reasons, oftentimes I am initially only able to see the first part of your post, so this may result in more interactions between us. There might also be a delay in my reply or answers, as I may be helping other customers, or called away from my office or have logged off. Please be assured your question(s) will be answered promptly.

If I have been helpful, please click Accept for my time and research, this is the only way I get paid. If you need more help or clarification, please click reply. Positive Feedback is greatly appreciated and reciprocated. Feedback should relate to customer service and not about the law, which I have no control over. You can always request me through my profile here or beginning your question with “Attention lawNinvest” Thank you.

Attorney & Mediator, Attorney
Experience: Have experienced in the subject matter.