Ask Attorney & Mediator Your Own Ques...
Attorney & Mediator
Attorney & Mediator, Attorney
Experience:  Have experienced in the subject matter.

If an executor (also an heir) refuses to hand over items that

If an executor (also an heir) refuses to hand over items that are known to belong to a ganddaughter after a grandmothers death what can the granddaughter do?
Assuming the executor has no reason to keep these items (for such things as to pay the estate's debts) then the granddaughter can file a complaint in probate court against the executor for breach of their fiduciary obligations (fiduciary duty means the executor is responsible for the reasonable handling and administration of the estate and must take due care that no heirs or the estate is harmed by their conduct).

The granddaughter can contact the local probate court to see how she can file that complaint as different counties have their own procedures.

Please click accept, and I can help with further questions if you have them.

Please Note: is a public forum. is not a law firm. is only a question and answer site. Asking a question does not create an attorney-client relationship nor is your question protected under the attorney-client privilege. An attorney-client relationship is established when you enter into written contract for representation and pay a retainer directly with the attorney or attorney’s firm. uses the term “Expert”. I do not hold myself as an expert when I answer your questions. The information given by me is not legal advice. I am not establishing an attorney-client relationship with you. I am providing only research, resources and information only for you to be informed and educated about your particular needs and my answer is limited to the facts presented. You are only paying me for such information given.

My answer or reply is limited to your facts presented and additional information you post may not come in after my reply or answer has posted, if this has occurred please let me know and I will answer further. Due to site tech reasons, oftentimes I am initially only able to see the first part of your post, so this may result in more interactions between us. There might also be a delay in my reply or answers, as I may be helping other customers, or called away from my office or have logged off. Please be assured your question(s) will be answered promptly.

If I have been helpful, please click Accept for my time and research, this is the only way I get paid. If you need more help or clarification, please click reply. Positive Feedback is greatly appreciated and reciprocated. Feedback should relate to customer service and not about the law, which I have no control over. You can always request me through my profile here or beginning your question with “Attention lawNinvest” Thank you.