Daniel P.
Daniel P., Attorney
Experience:  I have my own practice in Sarasota, FL- Estate Planning, Medicaid & VA law, Probate & Family Law

My husband died in April. The car was only in his name, and

My husband died in April. The car was only in his name, and it was the only non-joint property owned (the house is in both names, I have right of survivorship). We lived in Florida (I now live in the UK). How do I get a copy of the title to the car, and get it transferred to my name so I can sell it? I have also read on the FL DMV site that if you sell a car to or through a dealer, a paper title is not needed, but I imagine that I will still have to provide a copy of his death certificate. Do I need to go to probate? (If so, I'll probably just abandon the car.....)

Thank you for entrusting me with your legal issue. I will work diligently and quickly to answer your questions. I look forward to assisting you.

I am sorry for your loss.

You will not need to go through probate.You can complete this form along with a death certificate to transfer title:

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for your answer, it is encouraging. I did forget to say that he died without a will, and I do not currently have a paper title, as the title is being held electronically by the DMV. The loan is paid in full, I paid it in June.

Will the above process still work?
Yes, the process should still work.