Ask Attorney & Mediator Your Own Ques...

Attorney & Mediator
Attorney & Mediator, Attorney
Experience:  Have experienced in the subject matter.
1723468

How do I obtain a copy of a will and how long after it is filed

Customer Question

How do I obtain a copy of a will and how long after it is filed do I have to protest?
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Attorney & Mediator replied 3 years ago.
After the original will has been filed into probate you can get a copy. The will becomes a public document for all to see. How long you have to protest depends on the basis you wish to protest. You would have about four months to contest, see below:

113.075 Contest of will. (1) Any interested person may contest the probate of the will or the validity of the will or assert an interest in the estate for the reason that:

(a) The will alleged in the petition to be the will of the decedent is ineffective in whole or part;

(b) There exists a will that has not been alleged in the petition to be the will of the decedent; or

(c) The decedent agreed, promised or represented that the decedent would make or revoke a will or devise, or not revoke a will or devise, or die intestate.

(2) An action described in subsection (1) of this section shall be commenced by the filing of a petition in the probate proceedings, except that an action described in subsection (1)(c) of this section may be commenced by the filing of a separate action in any court of competent jurisdiction.

(3) An action described in subsection (1) of this section shall be commenced before the later of:

(a) Four months after the date of delivery or mailing of the information described in ORS 113.145 if that information was required to be delivered or mailed to the person on whose behalf the petition is filed; or

(b) Four months after the first publication of notice to interested persons if the person on whose behalf the petition is filed was not required to be named in the petition as an interested person.

(4) A cause of action described in subsection (1)(c) of this section shall not be presented as a claim under ORS chapter 115. [1969 c.591 §87; 1973 c.506 §23; 1991 c.704 §2]

_______________________________________________

Please Note: JustAnswer.com is a public forum. JustAnswer.com is not a law firm. JustAnswer.com is only a question and answer site. Asking a question does not create an attorney-client relationship nor is your question protected under the attorney-client privilege. An attorney-client relationship is established when you enter into written contract for representation and pay a retainer directly with the attorney or attorney’s firm.

JustAnswer.com uses the term “Expert”. I do not hold myself as an expert when I answer your questions. The information given by me is not legal advice. I am not establishing an attorney-client relationship with you. I am providing only research, resources and information only for you to be informed and educated about your particular needs and my answer is limited to the facts presented. You are only paying me for such information given.

My answer or reply is limited to your facts presented and additional information you post may not come in after my reply or answer has posted, if this has occurred please let me know and I will answer further. Due to site tech reasons, oftentimes I am initially only able to see the first part of your post, so this may result in more interactions between us. There might also be a delay in my reply or answers, as I may be helping other customers, or called away from my office or have logged off. Please be assured your question(s) will be answered promptly.

If I have been helpful, please click Accept for my time and research, this is the only way I get paid. If you need more help or clarification, please click reply. Positive Feedback is greatly appreciated and reciprocated. Feedback should relate to customer service and not about the law, which I have no control over. You can always request me through my profile here or beginning your question with “AttentionCustomerrdquo; Thank you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Do do I go about getting a copy?
You go to probate court and ask the court clerk for a copy. Call ahead of time to see how much it will cost you.

If I have been helpful, please click Accept for my time and research, this is the only way I get paid. If you need more help or clarification, please click reply. Positive Feedback is greatly appreciated and reciprocated. Feedback should relate to customer service and not about the law, which I have no control over. You can always request me through my profile here or beginning your question with “AttentionCustomerrdquo; Thank you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
HOW DO I GET A COPY OF THE WILL???
Seems you may have not seen my answer to this question. I'll try again.

You go to the probate court clerks office and ask the court clerk for a copy. Once the original is filed in probate court you get a copy from them directly. If it has not yet been filed then you can only get it if you are a beneficiary under the will and you can ask in writing. Otherwise you will need to wait until the original is filed with the court, then you ask the court clerk for a copy. Hope this is clear.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you very much.
I am in Maryland, will is in Oregon. Do you know if this is something I can do on line?
Glad to be of help. This is not something you can do online. You can possibly get a copy by through the mail or order by phone with credit card. The best way to find out is to call the local court clerk where probate was initiated and ask the clerk how to request the copies. You may need full name of the testator and date of death.

Attorney & Mediator, Attorney
Experience: Have experienced in the subject matter.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks so much