P. Simmons, Attorney
Experience:  12+ yrs. of experience including estate law.

how does a will work does the lawyer keep a copy of the

Customer Question

how does a will work ?? does the lawyer keep a copy of the will if so how does he know the person died and who to contact ot does he take the will to the court house . or does the court house already have a copy and thay handle everthing . if the person that died has the only copy wht happens if the next of kin doesn't like what it said's and just throws it away . then he get everthing ??
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for the chance to help. I am an attorney with over 12 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

In PA, a will can be kept with the lawyer...or it can be kept with the testator (person who makes the will).

If the testator only has a copy, then the copy can be enough...if there is some issue as to the validity of the document, the court can listen to evidence to determine if the copy will suffice.

You ask

"wht happens if the next of kin doesn't like what it said's and just throws it away"

In such a case, the beneficiaries of the will can bring the case to court to demand the will be properly probated.

Let me know if you have more questions
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
if there is no will what are the chance of proving that there was one and that you were in it

my grandfather died I am the only grandchild he had 2 son's my dad and uncle
my grandfather was 93 my dad is 69 and my uncle is 64 i an 47 . my grandmother called me the day the layer can to the house and thay had a will made she told me that i was in the will ? she died 6 years ago and my grandfather died a month ago . i called the court house to the reaster of will . she told me there was no will redgester !!
don't know if i have a leg to stand on or if i can do anything.
You would need a copy at least...or someone alive who could testify to the existance of a will. If you do not have that, there is no way to prove a will.