Jack R.
Jack R., Attorney
Experience:  Part of the 'Save the Dream
14472836

Im being harassed by HOA. They sent 5 different notices

Customer Question

I am being harassed by my HOA. They have sent me 5 different violation notices in the last 3 months. What can I do about this harassment?
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Jack R. replied 6 years ago.

Are the violations actual violations ?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Yes, 1. Grass too long. 2. Brick walls need cleaning. 3. Siding needs replaced and repainted. 4, Gutters need to replaced and painted. and 5. Driveway needs to be resurfaced.

Expert:  Jack R. replied 6 years ago.

Unfortunately, you have no recourse in this situation. In fact you are probably lucky that have not fined you. HOAs can wield a lot of "power", Challenging them where you are in the wrong is expensive, and could lead to foreclosure on your home if you fail to pay the fines and fees.

All comments are provided for informational purposes only. A local attorney should be contacted for specific legal advice.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I did all the repairs, but I continue to be harassed. What can I do?
Expert:  Jack R. replied 6 years ago.

If you have completed all repairs you should send a photograph to the HOA board with a request that they quit contacting you on repairs or remedies completed. If this does not work you may need to take legal action against them. Their continued interference with your enjoyment of your property may be considered a private nuisance. You may be able to get damages for their continued harassment. This only works if there are no legitimate violations on your property.

If you found this answer informative please press ACCEPT so I may get credit for my response.

This communication is not intended as legal advice. A local attorney should always be consulted for legal advice. No client/attorney relationship is intended or created by this communication.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I have other damages (structural) caused by Hurricane Rita, but the HOA still want me replace a lightly damage garage door. How can I force the HOA to give me more time to make the repairs?
Expert:  Jack R. replied 6 years ago.

You cannot force the HOA to do anything if the HOA is acting within the covenants or deed restrictions of the subdivision or area. . You can negotiate with them to try to come to a reasonable accommodation.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
If I don't like this next answer, please give me a refund.