Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Estate Law Expert

What are ususal and customary executor fees in the state of

What are ususal and customary executor fees in the state of texas? The estate is valued at approximately $250K.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 3 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
JD 1992 :

The standard fee foe executors in Texas is "5% in and 5% out". In other words, the executor gets paid 5% of all assets that are gathered, although judges don't always award it on bank accounts that require little or no work to access, and 5% of all monies paid out to creditor of any kind.

Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 3 years ago.
Chat Conversation Ended

If you are still working with your Expert on this question, you can post additional replies and receive additional information on this page.  If you received a satisfactory answer in Chat, you can accept the chat conversation above.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Essentially, I was looking for an applicable hourly rate and the justification to support that rate or the 5% that you mentioned.
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 3 years ago.
There;s not an hourly rate used, I'm not sure where the 5% comes from, I just know that is what it is and has been forever. I can do some research if you would like, but I assure you that is the figure.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you. I believe I have answered all of the questions you asked so I would request that you please click the ACCEPT button so I receive credit for my work and leave feedback if you have a chance. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done, although this is neither required nor expected. Please remember that we can only base our answers on the information you provide and sometimes a misunderstanding as to what you are looking for or already know occurs so feel free to ask additional questions. Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely information. You should always contact a local attorney for legal advice.

Several customers have asked how they direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to provide information for you just put “FOR JD 1992” in the subject line and I will pick up the next time I am online.
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 3 years ago.
I did a little checking and found the fee is from the probate code. I knew it was from a code but couldn't remember the section.

Section 241 of the Texas Probate Code provides that Executors are entitled to a commission of five per cent (5%) on all sums that actually receive in cash, and five per cent (5%) on all sums they pay out in cash. This seems simple enough, but on further examination of Section 241, you will find that “sums received” does not include cash received that was on deposit in a financial institution, life insurance proceeds, certificates of deposit and similar items. In addition, “sums paid out” does not include distributions to beneficiaries of the estate.

If the executor conducts a sale of property of the estate, the five per cent (5%) will apply unless a broker was used who is also being paid a commission. Thus, on the sale of a home where a broker was used and was paid a commission, the executor is not entitled to a commission as well. Where publicly-traded stock is sold in a brokerage account, and the broker receives a commission on the transaction, the executor receives no compensation.

The general rule of thumb is that the compensation will equal 5% of the income and 5% of the expenses of the estate. Sometimes this is adequate compensation, and sometimes it is not. If the executor feels the compensation is too low, he can always petition the probate court to consider additional compensation to be paid under Section 241.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you. As you know, we work on the honor system here and cannot always provide you answers that you like. I believe I have answered all of the questions you asked so I would request that you please click the ACCEPT button so I receive credit for my work and leave feedback if you have a chance. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done, although this is neither required nor expected. Please remember that we can only base our answers on the information you provide and sometimes a misunderstanding as to what you are looking for or already know occurs so feel free to ask additional questions. Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely information. You should always contact a local attorney for legal advice.

Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience: Estate Law Expert