Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Attorney
Experience:  Wills, Trusts, Probate & other Estate Matters

does the executor of a will get any kind of extra money from

does the executor of a will get any kind of extra money from the estate for handling the estate in Virginia?
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Thomas McJD replied 6 years ago.

First, it depends on what the terms of the will provide in the way of compensation to the executor.

Second, here is a publication by the Supreme Court of Virginia thoroughly addressing the subject. Basically, if the will doesn't cover the subject, the executor will be allowed reasonable compensation that will vary depending on the estate size and the amount of work involved. There is basic presumption that certain percentages from 5% to 2% of the estate would be a reasonable fee (the percentage that is applicable depends on the overall value of the estate).

I believe I have answered your question. Your accept would be greatly appreciated. Of course, if I can provide clarification concerning your original question, please let me know.

If you have additional questions, I would be happy to assist, but as a courtesy I respectfully XXXXX XXXXX you accept the answer to your first question before asking another.

Thank you for using JustAnswer. Your "accept" (by clicking the green "Accept" button) would be greatly appreciated. Otherwise, neither I nor JustAnswer can be compensated for the time and resources expended.

You understand that your use of or communication on this forum, in any and all ways, is intended for general informational purposes only and shall not constitute and/or be relied upon as legal advice or be construed as creating an attorney-client relationship. Further, you agree not to rely on anything I say and will obtain appropriate legal and or tax advice with an attorney or other professional licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal or other issue arises.

Edited by TMcJD on 8/9/2010 at 2:11 PM EST