Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Experienced in Trust and Succession Law, including Louisiana Laws
10285032

Re Responsibility for credit card debt when a spouse dies.

Re: Responsibility for credit card debt when a spouse dies. My mother-in-law, living in New York state (non-community prop state), recently passed away and had $70000 of credit card debt with only about $900 of assets in her name, so her estate will be insolvent. We have a credit report which shows some of her credit card accounts as individual, some joint, and some that are individual with her husband as an authorized user.

I know the husband will be held responsible for the joint accounts, and should be exempt from the accounts that were individual if he was not an authorized user. But what about the ones where he was only an authorized user? Is he legally responsible for those, and even if he isn't, will the credit card companies likely try to make him responsible anyway? As executor, how should he proceed to clear this up? None of the companies have been contacted yet. Is the determining factor whether his signature is on the credit app? Thanks.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 4 years ago.
First off, believe it or not and as crazy as it may sound to you BOTH attorneys are correct. First, you are not normally personally liable for any separate debt of your spouse. When a spouse dies leaving separate debt, their estate is liable to pay off that debt before any heir can collect anything from the estate. Thus, the second issue comes up, if he was part owner on the house, then they can place a lien on his share of the ownership only meaning it can still pass to his heirs but with the lien that must be paid off by the heirs before they can get clear title. Additionally, if they creditor alleges that the card was used for marital necessities, they can also try to seek the other spouse liable for the debt, but this is a bit harder since they have to prove the use of the card was for items typically used and needed in a marital community.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow up questions please use the REPLY button and ask. If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

PLEASE NOTE WELL: IF YOU CLICK OPT OUT I CANNOT REPLY TO YOUR FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND YOU MAY NEVER GET ANY REPLY OR IT WILL DELAY MY ABILITY TO REPLY TO YOU. Also, if you use RELIST, I MAY NOT SEE YOUR RESPONSE AND IT WILL DELAY YOUR REPLY.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=10285032&FID=39 or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The house was jointly owned, but you're saying it could still be used to make him responsible for even the credit card debt that was hers alone if her estate is insolvent?

Would the credit card companies try to get him to make payments before they would place a lien on his property? He would not be able to make even the minimum monthly payments so would be forced into bankruptcy, so would bankruptcy stop them from placing the lien? Thanks.

The estate is not insolvent as long as there was a house owned in joint tenancy and he gets her 1/ 2 ownership of that house outright, but her share of the house can be subject to the lien since it is a part of her estate. He could make some arrangements to repay, but that is up to the creditors. Bankruptcy would not force them to stop placement of the lien because they are placing the lien on her share of the house and not his share. He really should be using a probate attorney on this matter to best resolve it in a manner to least impact him and his ownership of the house.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience: Experienced in Trust and Succession Law, including Louisiana Laws