AlexiaEsq.
AlexiaEsq., Managing Attorney
Experience:  19+ Years of Legal Practice in Estate Law.
10805288

What is the difference between durable unlimited power of attorney,

What is the difference between durable unlimited power of attorney, and general durable power of attorney?
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  AlexiaEsq. replied 6 years ago.

Dear Hockey,

Good evening. With regard to your posted question:

There is no difference, although I guess it can depend upon semantics. A POA is unlimited unless otherwise limited specifically. The "durable" notation refers to the fact that it will endure even if the subject person becomes incapacitated. It "endures".

A "general" or power of attorney is unlimited in scope, and permits the named individual to act as your legal representative in relation to financial matters until such time as it is revoked. (The converse with regard to the POW would be if specifics were made to what is controls. A "specific" power of attorney imposes limits upon the named representative, and may restrict the scope of that person's powers to a single type of conduct or a single transaction. For example, the person could be granted the power to engage in financial transactions from a specific checking account, or to sign the closing documents for a specific real estate transaction.)

Either a limited/specific POA or an general POA can be limited in its duration. Even a "durable" POA can be limited expressly for a set amount of time.

Hope this helps to clarify. If it does, please click ACCEPT and follow up if needed after you do so. Also, if you exceeded the one question one answer standard, and the expert provided you with answers to your additional questions, BONUS is an appreciated way of saying thank you! This expert's credit proceeds go towards providing volunteer provisions for the disabled. Thank you for helping!

I believe I have answered your question and I hope you a better understanding of your legal issue as a result. As you know, I am only the messenger, not your attorney, nor can I create favorable law if it doesn't exist, so please don't hold it against me if the legal result is not what you wish. ACCEPTING the Answer a so ensures I will be able to assist your with your future legal question. In addition, Positive "FEEDBACK" and BONUSES are also appreciated. If you would like my assistance in the future, just put my name, STEPHANIE JOY, in your title or first sentence of a new post. Please keep in mind that I can only respond to your post and the information contained in it, as I do not know what you know unless you describe it fully. Also, due to site tech reasons, oftentimes I am initially only able to see the first part of your post, so I apologize in advance if it means more interactions between us. At times, there can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break, or if it is late at night, I may have to go get some shut eye til morning, but rest assured, I'll be back for you. Thanks

Sincerely,

S. Joy, Legal Expert

My Standard and Required Legal Disclaimer. The information given by me here is not legal advice. You should not and may not rely on anything on this website as legal advice and you agree that the nominal price you may voluntarily pay for information here clearly does not pay for any legal advice. I am neither establishing nor accepting an attorney-client relationship with you. You must hire an attorney in your state as a matter of law, in order to receive legal advice and attorney/client relationship and rights. I do not claim to be licensed to practice in the state where this information is being provided or whose law would apply, if any. My licensing credentials are noted in my profile, which you have full access to. As law is always changing, you are recommended to consult with the appropriate legal counsel in your jurisdiction for accurate and complete information. Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX a great day.