Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Experienced in Trust and Succession Law, including Louisiana Laws

What does it mean when stated in a Trust document that the

Customer Question

What does it mean when stated in a Trust document that the share of a beneficiary shall be distributed free of trust?
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 6 years ago.
What this means is that upon death the entire distribution of the bequest to the beneficiary would be made to that beneficiary and the trust nor the trustee will control the bequest. This is similar to a will provision, upon death, the property/money goes in its entirety to the beneficiary and is not parsed out and controlled by the trust.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

Use of this service does not create any attorney client relationship. Any information provided is not the practice of law but intended to direct you in finding an attorney in your locale.

You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Does this apply no matter what the amount of the trust assets are and if my sister and I were named as Successor Co-Trustees(as the need may occur). And am I correct in saying that a revocable Trust becomes irrevocable upon the death of the last settlor?

So, there would have been no need to continue theTrust, according to the answer you gave for the first question? I will be attaching a $25 bonus of thre extra questions.

The revocable trust DOES become irrevocable at the death of the settlor, you are correct. The trust says distribution would be made free of the trust, so that means the bequests would be given out in their entirety and the trust would be closed.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Is there any recourse if that is not the way it was handled and my sibling is trying to deduct money from my half of the bequest? Everything was supposed to split 50/50 and woudl it be considered contesting the will(POUR OVER)?

It all depends on why she is trying to deduct money, if there were expenses of the estate then those expenses should be shared between the beneficiaries.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
She obtained an attorney unnecessarily and is trying to have me pay for the entire bill.
You have more than enough grounds to dispute paying the full charge, although the court would likely make you share the fee.