lwpat
lwpat, Attorney at Law
Experience:  Attorney with experience in wills, estates and trusts
15417118

What are the typical fees an estate lawyer will charge a personal

Customer Question

What are the typical fees an estate lawyer will charge a personal representative for opening probate, etc. and preparing federal and state taxes (in the state of FL)?
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  lwpat replied 5 years ago.
Fees vary depending on the size of the estate and the amount of work required. Usually an accountanr will be retained for the tax returns. Minimum attorney fee is around 2500. For the first 100,000 in value the fee will usually be around 5% and between 1 and 4% of all over the 100,000.

Here is the exact statute

1. Compensation for ordinary services of attorneys in formal estate administration is presumed to be reasonable if based on the compensable value of the estate, which is the inventory value of the probate estate assets and the income earned by the estate during the administration as provided in the following schedule:
    • One thousand five hundred dollars for estates having a value of $40,000 or less
    • An additional $750 for estates having a value of more than $40,000, but not exceeding $70,000.
    • An additional $750 for estates having a value of more than $70,000 and not exceeding $100,000.
    • For estates having a value in excess of $100,000, at the rate of 3 percent on the next $900,000.
    • At the rate of 2.5 percent for all above $1 million and not exceeding $3 million.
    • At the rate of 2 percent for all above $3 million and not exceeding $5 million.
    • At the rate of 1.5 percent for all above $5 million and not exceeding $10 million
    • At a rate of 1 percent for all above $10 million.
lwpat, Attorney at Law
Experience: Attorney with experience in wills, estates and trusts
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Are fees calculated on the size of the estate, then? Independent of, say, actual hours spent for the client? Or does the statute set a limit or guideline for billiable hours? For example, for a $2.2M estate should I expect a bill of $71,000 (including $11,000 for 706 filing fee) regardless of the hours spent?
Expert:  lwpat replied 5 years ago.
The percentages in the statute are presumed to be reasonable. The attorney is free to charge less or to charge more if he can still show that the charges are "reasonable" based on the amount of work.

An accept for my time is always appreciated.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The attorney must show that the charges are reasonable with an itemized bill, for example?
Expert:  lwpat replied 5 years ago.
That is correct. You should always receive an itemized bill.
lwpat, Attorney at Law
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
My father did not received an itemized bill. Rather, the atty simply charged the "reasonable fee" ($71K) Because of friendship outside the office they discounted that fee to %40K, according to the letter he received. But there was nothing itemized regarding his time spent nor that of his assistants, nor what they did except general statements like "estate planning work", which is in the body of the letter. If I have additional questions should my next step be to contact the FL bar regarding my rights?
Expert:  lwpat replied 5 years ago.
If it was your father that retained them, any action would have to be started by him. Here you are going to have a hard tiem showing that a fee of 40K is unreasonable when the statute allows 71K. He can request an itemized billing but here I do not see that there is a cause for a complaint to the bar.
lwpat, Attorney at Law
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No complaint to the bar, I just want to understand. It doesn't strike me as reasonable if the actual hours worked amounted to, say, 40, and I'm required to pay $40K.

Anyhow. Thanks for your help.
Expert:  lwpat replied 5 years ago.
You're welcome.