Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Attorney
Experience:  30+ yrs. handling probate estate, wills, trust, inheritance & real estate related matters

example of a letter of acceptance for inheritance from an

example of a letter of acceptance for inheritance from an estate
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 7 years ago.
The term "letter of acceptance" isn't clear to everyone. Please explain what the purpose of it is, and we'll try to help.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I am the executor of my father's estate. Dad passed away August 20th. His only possessions is cash in 2 checking accounts. After all bills are paid, I will have to divide the balance between my brother and myself. Before I send my brother his share of the inheritance, I want to send him a letter telling him how much he is expected to get. I want this letter to be a concent type letter that he is to sign and return to me. I don't know how to word this letter. After I get the signed letter back, I want to get a cashier's check to send to him. How do I word this letter?
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 7 years ago.
I'm sorry for your loss. YOu didn't say if you are administering the estate under court supervision or not, and that would make a difference. But if you are just going to handle things outside of probate, then your letter will be basically a final accounting. Just show all of the assets, plus any income, less expenses paid (sending copies of bills is a good idea). There is no magic language. Dear Bro: Here is a breakdown of dad's money, what I paid with it and a check for your half of what is left.   What is left is called the balance remaining for distribution. If you're doing this out of court, there is no judge to approve the accounting before you distribute; however, you can't require him to sign an acceptance or agreement to the accounting by withholding his share. I would just send him his cashier's check with the account statement and be done with it. He'll eithr agree with it or he won't. And if he doesn't there isn't much he can do about it. Unless there's huge money involved and you've done something very questionable with it, I don't see where you'd run into any problems. I hope this helps you get on the right track.

Please click on the Green ACCEPT so I receive credit for helping you. Bonuses are a nice way to say THANKS for a fast and direct answer.   Positive feedback is also greatly appreciated. Please be sure to ask for me if you have any follow up questions.   

No client/attorney relationship is intended or created by this communication.