socrateaser, Attorney
Experience:  Retired (mostly)
10097515

I need to complete/submit a Petition for Letters of Administration

I need to complete/submit a Petition for Letters of Administration and the legal jargon is totally alien to me. I don't understand what information is being asked for on most of the lines. This monster document is 18 pages long. HELP!!!
Submitted: 5 years ago via LawDepot.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 5 years ago.

This site does not provide legal representation, document drafting or advice. I "just answer" questions about the law.

If you have specific questions about the document, feel free to ask and I'll try to help. However, I cannot prepare the document on your behalf.

Alternatively, if you would prefer to get a refund, see: http://www.justanswer.com/refund.aspx.

Thanks in advance.

Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I'm trying to complete the form myself, but i don't understand what some of the lines mean, such as:

"The estimated gross value of the decedent's personal property passing by intestacy is less than"...

"In addition to the value of the personal property stated in paragraph___ the following right of action existed on behalf of the decedent and survived his/her death, or is granted to the administrator of the decedent by special provision of law, and it is impractical to give a bond sufficient to cover the probable amount to be recovered therein: [Write NONE od state briefly he cause of action and the person against whom it exists, including names and carrier].

WHAT?????

A: "Gross value" is the value of the property, not including any loans against it. For example, if there is a vehicle with fair market value of $10,000 and a loan against it for $12,000, the "net" (real) value of the vehicle is -$2,000. But, the gross value is $10,000.

"In addition to the value of the personal property stated in paragraph___ the following right of action existed on behalf of the decedent and survived his/her death, or is granted to the administrator of the decedent by special provision of law, and it is impractical to give a bond sufficient to cover the probable amount to be recovered therein: [Write NONE or state briefly the cause of action and the person against whom it exists, including names and carrier]."

A: This paragraph is asking whether the decedent had any lawsuits pending in which he was the "Plaintiff" (complaining/suing party), rather than the "Defendant." If so, then you can't easily post a bond, because you have no idea how much you are likely to recover on the decedent's behalf, because the court hasn't given a final judgment in the matter.

If there are no lawsuits where the decedent was plaintiff, then this paragraph is inapplicable, and the answer is: NONE.

socrateaser, Attorney
Experience: Retired (mostly)