lwpat, Attorney at Law
Experience:  Attorney with experience in wills, estates and trusts

Do I need a CPA to close out a Living Trust Both Mom and Dad

Do I need a CPA to close out a Living Trust? Both Mom and Dad are gone and we have taken care of all the bills and sold and divided things. So We just want to be done with the Trust. We were told that we needed a CPA. If we all agree can we just close it out?
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  lwpat replied 7 years ago.
You don't have to close the trust out through the courts and I really don't see why you need a CPA. You may want to ask the attorney why since he knows more about the situation and there may be some special circumstances. Once all of the bills are paid and probate has closed, you can normally terminate the trust and the trustees can execute deeds of distribution for the real property to the beneficiaries. You would normally file the trust with the deeds so the title could be traced.