Marcus Parker
Marcus Parker, Attorney
Experience:  Experienced in wills, estates, and trusts

Where can I obtain a physicians declaration of incompetence

Where can I obtain a "physician's declaration of incompetence" form (California)?
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Marcus Parker replied 8 years ago.
What is such a form required for?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Psychologist requested form when requested to supply a physician's letter stating party is "unable properly to care for her person and property"--which is required according to the terms of her Trust for her husband to become her official Trustee.

"In most western countries, including the U.S., licensed/registered psychologists hold a doctorate in their field, while licensed psychiatrists hold a medical degree with a specialty in psychiatry. Psychiatrists are physicians who have earned an MBBS/M.D. or a D.O. professional degree, whereas psychologists have earned a doctoral degree Ph.D., Psy.D., or Ed.D. "

So a psychologist is not a physician. You need to go to a physician, such as a psychiatrist (but any physician would do), to get a letter reciting that the person is "unable properly to care for her person and property". You don't need a official form of some sort - a simple letter will do.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
My question was where could I obtain the form. The physician (who is actually a psychiatrist, not a psychologist--my error) is asking me for the form. I already told the psychiatrist the form was not required, only a simple letter. So I still don't know where I can obtain the form. But thank you for the confirmation.