N Cal Attorney
N Cal Attorney, Attorney
Experience:  Since 1983
9653905

I have been contacted by lawyer saying that

Customer Question

I have been contacted by lawyer saying that someone deceased has left me a sum of money as a codusil to his will. They say they have already been paid for their services but they have not said yet as to wether there will be a fee for the probate division of the international Court of Justice. They have contacted me only using my email address.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  N Cal Attorney replied 6 years ago.
The ICJ does not handle probate cases. See http://www.icj-cij.org/jurisdiction/index.php?p1=5 This may be a scam. Normally a lawyer would send a letter, not an email, to contact a lost heir.
Are you certain this lawyer said the case was in the ICJ? Please provide the name and jurisdiction where this lawyer is located and I can try to verify his credentials.
This sounds sketchy.
N Cal Attorney, Attorney
Experience: Since 1983
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Here is the info you requested, with 2 of my responses. 1. I have not replied to your previous inquiries as the person you say that you represent I have no knowledge of. As I am confidant that this is a scam and that to process this inheritance I will be required to pay some sort of a fee. If this is not the case and these funds are completely free to me then you may recontact me at the email you have on record for me including my name. 2. Thank you for your response, but why do you not at least verify my name & address? That is the question that you have left unanswered. If you are who you say you are then I am sure you can understand my caution as regard to the current world problem of identity theft. I still need proof you are who you say you are and I need a way to verfify this.

The Chambers of Richard Gilbert QC & Associates
2 Bedford Row
London
WC1R 4BU
United Kingdom

Tel+ +447045730792
Fax:+ 447006082895
Email:XXX@XXXXXX.XXX

Faegre & Benson LLP, UK.

We want to acknowledge the receipt of your email in this chambers and also want you to know that you have absolute right to reject this WILL as much as you have the right to accept it as well. If you wish to turn it down then let me know so I can send you a WILL rejection form to fill and revert back to this office. I am not going to impose it on you but just doing my job here.

I can imagine that the Late Engr Jurgen Krugger must have known that you wil l put the money to good use for the less privileged of which he was aware that you can achieve, that is why he selected you. Also, understand that I don't know you neither have I met you before, but my contacting you is based on the recommendation of late Late Engr Jurgen Krugger.

Be further informed that these funds will not be released to you without some proper identification. I have never met you before like I said and to be able to carry out our duties effectively as sole executors of the WILL of Late Engr Jurgen Krugger We must be convinced that you are who the testament says you are. And please re-confirm to us through the above stated fax or via email; your full contact details to include your full name and address telephone and fax number(if any) and if you have moved to a new address then indicate both the new and old one for my verification with what I have in my file. Any difference or discrepancies in the information provided by you will mean that I am contacting the wrong person and I will stop all communication with you out rightly.

Your information would be taken to the probate division of the International Court of Justice for verification. After the confirmation, the probate division would now release your letter of administration for claims to this bequest/funds. This document as well as the Certificate of Deposit issued by the Deposit Bank to Late Engr Jurgen Krugger when the funds were deposited by him will then be released to you, this will give you the legal backing to receiving these funds.

We sincerely XXXXX XXXXX the above requirement be sent to us sooner that later for us to proceed with the documentation. And note that we cannot send any document to you until we are fully convinced that we have the true beneficiary. And note that we have a period of (14) working days to conclude this so I can move on to the next beneficiary on the WILL of my late client.

NOTE: THIS CHAMBERS DO NOT AND WILL NOT DEMAND ANY MONEY FROM YOU FOR THE SERVICES THAT WILL BE RENDERED TO BY THIS CHAMBERS. WE HAVE BEEN FULLY PAID BY LATE ENGR. JURGEN KRUGGER TO ASSIST AND DIRECT YOU IN CLAIMING YOUR INHERITANCE. ALL WE NEED IS FOR YOU TO COMPLY WITH OUR INSTRUCTIONS AND DIRECTIVES TO MAKE SURE YOUR FUNDS IS TRANSFERRED TO YOU.

I await your prompt response.
Yours in Service,
Barr. Richard GIlbert QC.
Tel+ +447045730792
Fax:+ 447006082895
Email:XXX@XXXXXX.XXX
Faegre & Benson LLP, UK
F&B appears to be a real law firm but no attorney named richard gilbert or gilbert richard is listed as working there on their website, see http://www.faegre.com/firm_lawyers.aspx
XXX@XXXXXX.XXX is the email address for the London office of F&B; I suggest you send them a copy of the email you posted here and ask them if they have any idea what is going on. I think you are correct, it may be an attempt at identity theft or at least information collection. F&B apparently has their own email domain and does not use live.com for their business email. F&B will probably launch their own investigation if some scam artist is using their name. If you prefer I can forward your post to F&B, but I feel they should be made aware of this.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes, please contact them on my behalf, explaining the situation and ask if they would reply to me, at this email with the word "Trampas" in the subject section, so I know who is sending it.

You have indeed been most helpful. Thank You,
                                   XXXXX XXXXXey
OK I emailed the attorneys in London but I cannot email you, I do not have your address and I don't think the moderators want people to post their email addresses here. But I'll post again if I get a reply.
We were right, it's a scam.
I sent the following to the London lawyers:

Dear Sirs:

I answer legal questions at justanswer.com. Someone asked me about the following email they received. I told them I think it is a scam and they asked me to notify you, since your name is XXXXX XXXXX

You can read their questions and my answers at http://estate-law.justanswer.com/questions/1c374-contacted-lawyer-saying

This is what they received:

2 Bedford Row
London
WC1R 4BU
United Kingdom

Tel+ +447045730792
Fax:+ 447006082895
Email:XXX@XXXXXX.XXX

Faegre & Benson LLP, UK.

I await your prompt response.
Yours in Service,
Barr. Richard GIlbert QC.
Tel+ +447045730792
Fax:+ 447006082895
Email:XXX@XXXXXX.XXX
Faegre & Benson LLP, UK

The lawyers in London just sent me this email:

Dear Mr. Stewart

Thank you for your message. As you have correctly identified, the e-mail you have forwarded to us has not come from this firm, nor been authorised by it. We are taking all possible steps to stop this happening.   Thank you for bringing it to our attention.

Kind regards,
Emma Beardwell
Faegre & Benson LLP

Faegre & Benson LLP XXXXX
London EC4V 6LB
Tel. +44 20 7450 4500
Fax +44 20 7450 4545
www.faegre.co.uk
_______________________________________________________
The information in this message may be confidential and legally privileged and is intended solely for the addressee. Access to this message by anyone else is unauthorised. If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution or other action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on it, is prohibited and may be unlawful.

For information about how we process data and monitor communications please see our Privacy Policy http://www.faegre.co.uk/privacy.aspx

Faegre & Benson LLP is a limited liability partnership registered in England (registered number OC303458) and is regulated by the Solicitors Regulatory Authority. It is a body corporate which has members whom we refer to as "partners". A list of members' names and their professional qualifications may be inspected at the registered office,XXXXX London EC4V 6LB.

Faegre & Benson LLP's registration number for Value Added Tax in the United Kingdom is GB 802 810 760.