JaxLaw
JaxLaw, Attorney
Experience:  Estate Planning (i.e. wills, trusts, power-of-attorney doc.s, living wills, etc.), Probate and mor
9345660

What is the executor fee for the state of Indiana if the ...

What is the executor fee for the state of Indiana if the will does not specify any amount?
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  JaxLaw replied 6 years ago.

DISCLAIMER - This answer is not legal advice. No attorney-client relationship is formed. The information provided is for educational purposes only. For specific advice regarding your situation, please consult a qualified attorney in your area.

Indiana's only requirements are that the fees are "reasonable". See the Indiana statute below. The court will determine what amount is "reasonable" for each particular estate. What is reasonable will depend on the amount of work necessary to administer the estate. If it is a simple probate the fee will be smaller. If the estate is large and/or complicated the fee will be larger.

Compensation; attorney's services

IC 29-1-10-13
Sec. 13. If a testator by will makes provision for the compensation of his personal representative, that shall be taken as his full compensation unless he files in the court a written instrument renouncing all claims for the compensation provided by the will before qualifying as personal representative. The personal representative, when no compensation is provided in the will, or when he renounces all claim to the compensation provided in the will, shall be allowed such compensation for his services as the court shall deem just and reasonable. Additional compensation may be allowed for his services as attorney and for other services not required of a personal representative. An attorney performing services for the estate at the instance of the personal representative shall have such compensation therefor out of the estate as the court shall deem just and reasonable. Such compensation may be allowed at the final settlement; but at any time during administration a personal representative or his attorney may apply to the court for an allowance upon the compensation of the personal representative and upon attorney's fees.(Formerly: Acts 1953, c.112, s.1013.)

JaxLaw, Attorney
Experience: Estate Planning (i.e. wills, trusts, power-of-attorney doc.s, living wills, etc.), Probate and mor