JaxLaw
JaxLaw, Attorney
Experience:  Estate Planning (i.e. wills, trusts, power-of-attorney doc.s, living wills, etc.), Probate and mor
9345660

Can the beneficiaries of a family trust request a copy of ...

Customer Question

Can the beneficiaries of a family trust request a copy of said trust and is the trustee required by law to comply? And how about other records like bank statements, accounting statements, titles, property deeds, etc.? Can I request this with a regestered letter or do I need a lawyer for this? Can a majority of beneficiaries (5 to 1)remove a trustee? If it matters this is in the state of Utah.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  JaxLaw replied 6 years ago.

DISCLAIMER - This answer is not legal advice. No attorney-client relationship is formed. The information provided is for educational purposes only. For specific advice regarding your situation, please consult a qualified attorney in your area.

Upon Request: 1) Beneficiaries are entitled to receive the portions of the trust document that describe or affect the beneficiary's interest. 2) A trustee is required to provide a yearly accounting of the trust assets.

You may remove a trustee by:

75-7-706 Removal of trustee.

(1) The settlor, a cotrustee, or a qualified beneficiary may request the court to remove a trustee, or a trustee may be removed by the court on its own initiative.

(2) The court may remove a trustee if:

(a) the trustee has committed a serious breach of trust;

(b) lack of cooperation among cotrustees substantially impairs the administration of the trust;

(c) because of unfitness, unwillingness, or persistent failure of the trustee to administer the trust effectively, the court determines that removal of the trustee best serves the interests of the beneficiaries; or

(d) there has been a substantial change of circumstances or removal is requested by all of the qualified beneficiaries, the court finds that removal of the trustee best serves the interests of all of the beneficiaries and is not inconsistent with a material purpose of the trust, and a suitable cotrustee or successor trustee is available.

(3) Pending a final decision on a request to remove a trustee, or in lieu of or in addition to removing a trustee, the court may order appropriate relief under Subsection 75-7-1001 (2) necessary to protect the trust property or the interests of the beneficiaries.
2004

Also, court can remove a trustee for breach of trust (see Code Section 75-7-1001)

Here are the statutes regarding a trustees duties to report to beneficiary:

Duty to inform and report.

(1) Except to the extent the terms of the trust provide otherwise, a trustee shall keep the qualified beneficiaries of the trust reasonably informed about the administration of the trust and of the material facts necessary for them to protect their interests. Unless unreasonable under the circumstances, and unless otherwise provided by the terms of the trust a trustee shall promptly respond to a qualified beneficiary's request for information related to the administration of the trust.

(2) Except to the extent the terms of the trust provide otherwise, a trustee:

(a) upon request of a qualified beneficiary, shall promptly furnish to the beneficiary a copy of the portions of the trust instrument which describe or affect the beneficiary's interest;

(b) within 60 days after accepting a trusteeship, shall notify the qualified beneficiaries of the acceptance and of the trustee's name, address, and telephone number;

(c) within 60 days after the date the trustee acquires knowledge of the creation of an irrevocable trust, or the date the trustee acquires knowledge that a formerly revocable trust has become irrevocable, whether by the death of the settlor or otherwise, shall notify the qualified beneficiaries of the trust's existence, of the identity of the settlor or settlors, of the right to request a copy of the trust instrument, and of the right to a trustee's report as provided in Subsection (3); and

(d) shall notify the qualified beneficiaries in advance of any change in the method or rate of the trustee's compensation.

(3) A trustee shall send to the qualified beneficiaries who request it, at least annually and at the termination of the trust, a report of the trust property, liabilities, receipts, and disbursements, including the amount of the trustee's compensation or a fee schedule or other writing showing how the trustee's compensation was determined, a listing of the trust assets and, if feasible, their respective market values. Upon a vacancy in a trusteeship, unless a cotrustee remains in office, a report must be sent to the qualified beneficiaries by the former trustee, unless the terms of the trust provide otherwise. A personal representative, conservator, or guardian may send the qualified beneficiaries a report on behalf of a deceased or incapacitated trustee.

(4) A qualified beneficiary may waive the right to a trustee's report or other information otherwise required to be furnished under this section. A beneficiary, with respect to future reports and other information, may withdraw a waiver previously given.
2004

JaxLaw, Attorney
Experience: Estate Planning (i.e. wills, trusts, power-of-attorney doc.s, living wills, etc.), Probate and mor
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Should I send a regestered to obtain this info?
Expert:  JaxLaw replied 6 years ago.

A regestered? I don't understand what you mean. Please verify. Thank you for the accept.