Mr. Gregory White
Mr. Gregory White, Master's Degree
Experience:  M.A., M.S. Education / Educational Administration
46856550

Suppose your client, Client A, is an unmarried individual

Customer Question

Suppose your client, Client A, is an unmarried individual U.S. taxpayer living in New York City. She informs you that she recently entered into a settlement agreement with her investment advisor. The investment advisor has paid Client A $150,000. The payment is attributable to investment losses caused by the investment advisor’s alleged failure to follow the asset allocation directions from Client A. Specifically; Client A instructed her advisor to change the investment objective for her account from “all equity” to “current income.” The advisor understood these instructions to mean reallocate her portfolio from equity to income gradually over time, rather than an immediate sell off and restructuring. Client A claims that her intention was to do an immediate sell off and restructuring. Hence, a dispute arose with respect to the correct interpretation of her instructions and the decline in market value of the equity position over the length of time it took her advisor to gradually sell (restructure) her equity portfolio to income. Client A says this could have been avoided had the change in asset allocation been implemented immediately the way she wanted. In the interests of both parties in settling the dispute without admission of fault by either party, the investment advisor agreed to pay Client A $150,000.Client A (the payee) wants to know the following:
• Is this settlement payment taxable for federal income tax purposes?
And
• If so, what is the character of the payment? Is it a reduction of tax basis of investment assets, ordinary income, or short or long-term capital gain income?In addition, research and address what the income tax consequences are to the investment advisor (the payor) in making the settlement payment. Is the payment deductible, and if so, what is the character of the deduction?
Hint: Recall that income tax consequences in general are symmetrical; meaning that if one taxpayer for a given transaction has to report income, then the other taxpayer to the transaction generally has a deduction.
Prepare a tax research memorandum to answer the questions raised by your client. State any assumptions you make. Your written memorandum should be no approximately six pages in length. Recall that proper format and content are of equal importance.
JA: The Tutor can help you get an A on your business writing homework and ace your next test. You just pay a $5 deposit now and the rest only when you get a reply from the Tutor. All of this is 100% satisfaction guaranteed, so you can get a refund if you're not happy for any reason. Is there anything else important you think the Tutor should know? You just pay a $5 deposit now and the rest only when you get a reply from the Tutor. All of this is 100% satisfaction guaranteed, so you can get a refund if you're not happy for any reason.
Customer: how much will that assignment cost?
JA: I'm not sure of the exact price, but there's only a $5 deposit. The rest of the price information will be on the page I send you to.
Customer: can i send an email of the format for the paper?
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Tutor about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Essays
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
please see the format for the memo attached below
Expert:  PDtax replied 5 months ago.

Hi from Just Answer. I'm PDtax. I can assist.

The project you are asking for is sizable, and with a research component. I will make an Offer to do this, but it will be substantially higher than your deposit.

My offer also assumes you have a few days for delivery. Accepting an Offer establishes a private link for transmittal of the project to you when complete.

Expert:  PDtax replied 5 months ago.

Please note my offer is for a 100% original memo. My offer is also valid until 12:00 PM EST 7/8/16.