Eric M.
Eric M., Master's Degree
Experience:  BS and MS in computing, pursuing MBA, founder of a half-dozen start up businesses.

Scenario:Imagine you are the director of a state department

Imagine you are the director of a state department that employs 1,500 people. Because of state budget constraints, the governor has proposed an early-retirement incentive package that would affect nearly 20% of your department’s employees — meaning that in 6 short months, your department will likely be losing around 300 employees from all management levels — from the executive office to the front lines. The governor has instructed all department heads to plan for this wave of early retirements, and to prepare for effective succession and knowledge transfer.

Your Memo:

In a memorandum to the governor, describe at least four distinct organization management challenges raised by the early retirement proposal, and apply one theory of effective management to each management challenge as you lay out your department’s plan for preparing for effective succession and knowledge transfer. These management challenges have been examined in your readings for this unit. Given this, please use those readings as a foundation for your memo.

Additionally, imagine the governor is contemplating privatizing your state agency. Address the issue of what kinds of management challenges might come from the governor attempting to privatize your state department.

How would this new private-sector department deal with a similar retirement issue?

Compare those private sector management issues to your above-discussed public sector management challenges.

apa format sunday or monday is fine 1- 1 1/2 pages

I'm Josie and I'm a moderator for this topic.

We have been working with our professionals to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit.

I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of our professionals.

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?

Also remember that JustAnswer has a multitude of categories to help you with all your needs from Pet to Legal.

Thank you,

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I would like to continue

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX continue to look for a professional to assist you. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance while you wait.

Hi! I'll be happy to try to help you with this. That's a lot of content to pack into a couple pages. The question references the book you're using -- can you let me know what book your class uses so I can attempt to find a copy and use it myself?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi eric sorry has been a busy day. It is the jossey-bass reader on nonprofit and public leadership. 2010

No worries! Sounds good. I've looked through the book and it seems like there's a lot of different ideas in there rather than a somewhat organized list of theories, so is it alright to just use any of the ideas from the book as the 'theories of effective management'?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes as long as they flow with downsizing on org

Alright, here you go, here are my thoughts: (link)

Thanks! If you need anything else, please don't hesitate to let me know!

(FYI, I use plain text files since some people, including myself, don't have Microsoft Word. Microsoft Word will still open it just fine, but let me know if you want me to convert this to .doc anyway and I can on my work computer)
Eric M., Master's Degree
Experience: BS and MS in computing, pursuing MBA, founder of a half-dozen start up businesses.