Jane T(LLC)
Jane T(LLC), Bachelor's Degree
Experience:  Writing expert (published and written on many subjects).
2911261

The Portfolio Project requires you to write a memorandum to

The Portfolio Project requires you to write a memorandum to a decision-maker, such as the president of the United States, a member of Congress, a chairperson of the SEC, or a state Governor, on how to reform corporate ethics in American business today. As we have seen, legislation such as Sarbanes-Oxley has received considerable media attention, but has not prevented significant catastrophes such as the global economic meltdown of 2008. You should be prepared to propose policies that might help to ameliorate or to prevent corporate ethics lapses that might occur in the future. You have the freedom to select any policy avenues that you think might help to strengthen and fortify corporate ethics. Your memo should do the following:

Set forth why your chosen policy pathway is important
Compare it to and contrast it with the policy it replaces
Articulate your ideas on how to remedy the issue of corporate malfeasance
Proffer some recommendations to the decision-maker about how to improve overall corporate governance

I am having a hard time finding a topic and the policy avenue. Any suggestions
Category: Essays
Expert:  Josie-Mod replied 1 year ago.

I'm Josie and I'm a moderator for this topic.

We have been working with our professionals to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit.

I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of our professionals.

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?

Also remember that JustAnswer has a multitude of categories to help you with all your needs from Pet to Legal.

Thank you,

Josie~Moderator

Expert:  Jane T(LLC) replied 1 year ago.

I have a couple of ideas for this, but first I want to be sure I understand what you are looking for.

Your question indicates you are seeking ideas, but it also states you need both ideas and an outline. Can you let me know which it is, just ideas or both ideas and an outline.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
An outline would be great but I need an idea for sure

I have a few ideas on this. First, Sarbanes-Oxley does not get to the main point where corruption can strike. Yes, it binds CEOs, Board members, and the accountants to testify to the validity of the data, but, frankly, these people have the ability to duck many of the potential charges that may arise and they feel little personal risk for "stretching" the truth, when their reward for doing so (profit) can be so great.

Instead, the law should go down further into an organization to get the lower level employees, the ones who are often told to hide, stretch, or "make it so" to meet the corporate demands, to swear not only to the authenticity of their info, but to also sign a document that they have not been threatened, forced, or otherwise told to hide, obscure, or fail to report any material and necessary information required to properly understand the financial reports produced by an organization. I would include the internal and external CPAs and accounting clerks who put the data together and their immediate supervisors on the list of those who need to sign. I would also add HR employees and their supervisors to fill out those most likely to be aware of unethical behavior. There should be criminal charges for lying on such a document as it would then be fraud to the federal government. I would make this an SEC requirement. I would not use this to replace any policy but to enforce those already in place by requiring it of the employees as members of the organization responsible for what the organization produces for the public. This is why it, ideally, needs the legal power of legislation to ensure it is mandatory for all and a requirement of being a public company.

I would begin the memo by providing a review of why ethics are important to business and the benefits it brings to an organization. I would then review where ethics have previously been violated in most other organizations focusing on how lower level employees are often key to unraveling these issues. Then propose the new policy. Conclude by reviewing why the new policy works to ensure ethical conduct and why it will benefit the organization.

Let me know if you have any further questions or need further clarification.

Jane T(LLC), Bachelor's Degree
Experience: Writing expert (published and written on many subjects).