Lisa L. Kawecki
Lisa L. Kawecki, Certified Teacher
Experience:  BA in Eng. & Edu.; 15 yrs. Teaching Exp.
20507158

For Lisa L. Kawecki Scan the following article by Svennson

Attachment: 2013-09-12_155610_anglo_american_13_full1.pdf

Attachment: 2013-09-12_155657_second_article.pdf

For Lisa L. Kawecki Scan the following article by Svennson & Woods: Svensson, G., & Wood, G. (2008). A model of business ethics. Journal Of Business Ethics, 77(3), 303-322. Accessed on November 19, 2012 from EBSCO. Assignment: In a well-written 5-7 page critical essay, respond to the following, using Anglo-American and Primark as examples: Using the Svennson and Wood business ethics model, assess the ethics of the business practices of Anglo-American and Primark, discussing the costs and the benefits to organizations that act ethically. Keys to the Assignment: Describe what is meant by ethical business behavior; Describe how these two companies – Anglo-American and Primark – apply ethics in practice; Discuss the costs and benefits to an organization when that organization behaves ethically; and Choose one component of Svennson & Woods’ model (found in the journal article “A Model of Business Ethics”), and discuss how your chosen component is relevant for Anglo-American and/or Primark. For example, you might choose “external stakeholder relationships” (page 314), and discuss how Anglo-American benefits from its positive stakeholder relationships (see page 4 of the Anglo-American case study).

Category: Essays
Expert:  Lisa L. Kawecki replied 11 months ago.

Hello Jenn,

Thank you for requesting me. I am always happy to work with you.

Thank you for including the attachments. I just have two questions:

1. The question refers to the "Svennson and Wood business ethics model" and the journal article,"A model of Business Ethics." Are you able to provide this information?

2. This question is for half of the amount that was posted for the original question that I offered to do for you. Please clarify before I can begin to work on this.

Thank you kindly,
LisaSmile

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Lisa,

Help me understand the billing as I had to post more money to repost this question twice, that is why I didn't put as much money because I thought since you were going to get the other one closed that the money would be there for me to apply to this question but it made me pay again...? I am looking for the articles again.

Jen

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Lisa,

My first question was posted for $80.00 and the one that you asked me to repost is showing $80.00. Is this not what you are seeing?

let me know. i was having some difficulty.

jenn

Jenn,

Don't worry, I will answers any questions that you have about the site as best I canSmile

First, expert do not get paid any money until the customer accepts the work and rates it positively. Any money that you put down for a deposit is still there.

Second, when I responded to the first question, the amount that showed on my screen that you were paying to the site was $160.00. For this question, the amount that is showing on my screen that you are paying to the site is $80.00. That is shy I asked why this was half the amount that I agreed to do the original question for. Expert are not permitted to discuss money other than to say we only get paid a portion of wht is paid to the site. I simply do not know if I can write a 5 - 7 page paper for what is offered. Does this need to be single or double spaced??? Also, I opened the two attachments that you sent to me, but, neither one seems to be the journal article, A model of business ethics." Did I miss something?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Lisa,

Since I am in a pinch I can up the amount to 160. The articles I attached are the ones that should be used ...

In a well-written 5-7 page critical essay, respond to the following, using Anglo-American and Primark as examples:

Using the Svennson and Wood business ethics model, assess the ethics of the business practices of Anglo-American and Primark, discussing the costs and the benefits to organizations that act ethically.

Attachment: 2013-09-12_165608_a_model_of_business_ethics_model.pdf

Jenn,

I will be happy to do this for you, but, I do not want you to pay an amount that you are not comfortable paying. I simply had to ask as the price was half of what it was. I understand that money is tight for everyone, I just wanted you to know that I do not get the amount posted, I was not trying to take advantage. Smile If you are o.k. with the price offered on the first question, you can simply pay the difference as a bonus when you pay for this question.

I will be happy to begin this paper right now and have it finished by this evening.

SINGLE OR DOUBLE SPACED????
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Lisa,

I am fine with the amount. The report should be double spaced.

Thanks so much

jennifer

Jennifer,

Thank you on all accounts, I have begun the research and reading necessary for this paper and hope to have it finished for you for this evening.

LisaKiss
Hi Jennifer,

I have been working on your paper for the past several hours. I have it complete and am in the process of posting it. You will have it shortly.Smile
If you want it closed for privacy after it is paid for, just let me know and I will send it to be locked.

Lisa
Good evening Jennifer,

Thank you for the opportunity to assist you today. I have this paper saved in my files for any future needs that you many have. As requested, it is 5 - 7 seven pages, 12 font, double spaced, with references.

Ethics of Business Practices

Ethical business behavior has increasing become one of the most talked about issues in the business community. In the past decade there have been more and more reports about individuals who are in a position of authority at high profile and successful companies that have been involved in less than ethical behavior. Qualities such as trust, loyalty, and dependability are qualities that are needed in order to abide by the ideals that are believed to make up ethical business behavior. What happens so often in our current economic and global world is that the larger an organization grows the more difficult it is to maintain business practices that are considered to be ethical. Citizens in our society, as well as in other cultures, have voiced their opinions, concerns, and outrage against individuals and business organizations as a group that violate ethical business behavior. “Society is predicated upon behavior that it expects will advance itself. It is not interested in behavior that will force the society to regress. Business is established and allowed to exist because in capitalist societies it is deemed to have a central and pivotal role in the betterment of society.” (Svensson)

In order to apply ethical business behavior it is important to have a comprehensive understanding of the concept. This was a concept that came into common use in the United States during the 1970’s. Business ethics reflects the philosophy of a business. Business ethics, “Is a form of applied ethics or professional ethics that examines ethical principles and moral or ethical problems that arise in a business environment. It applies to all aspects of business conduct and is relevant to the conduct of individuals and entire organizations.”(Ferrell)

A more detailed description of what is meant by ethical business behavior was created by Goran Svensson and Greg Wood. According to the Svensson and Wood business ethics model, there are three main components, expectations, perceptions, and evaluations. In addition, each of these three main components are also connected by five sub-components, society expectations, organizational values, norms and beliefs, outcomes, society evaluates, and reconnection.

One company that have been the subject of research regarding how they use ethical business behavior in their organizations is Anglo-American. This company has successfully integrated ethical business behavior into their day to day operations. Anglo-American is involved with industries such as mining and agriculture. Although this company operates mainly in Africa where 76% of its’ employees reside, it does operate through out the world.

Due to the fact that mining has a major impact on the environment, Anglo-American comes under constant pressure from citizens and pressure groups to make sure that they are following all rules, regulations, and business practices. Two issues that are of a high priority for Anglo-American are combating corruption and the promoting of revenues. “Good Citizenship” is what Anglo-American refers to as their statement of Business Principles. One specific way in which Anglo-American applies ethics in practice is through a program called the Voluntary Principles on Security and Human Rights. In simplest terms, these are guidelines for the company to follow to ensure both security for their employees and to make sure that operations that they have in volatile countries don’t negatively impact the local population. The protection of the human rights of its’ employees and for the local citizens in areas that it operates is a significant way that Anglo-American applies ethics in practice.

A second company that uses ethical business behavior within its’ organization is Primark. This is large company that is part of Associated British Foods which is a diversified international food, ingredients and retail group. Primark is a large organization in the world of textile manufacturing and clothing distribution. Even though Primark is an international brand with a global supply chain, it takes the issue of using ethics in business practices very seriously. The main way in which Primark uses ethics in their business practices is by making sure that the employees in their factories are working under good conditions and that they are each treated well. In addition to taking care of their employees, there are two other ways in which Primark applies ethics in their organization, this is by maintaining good business relationships with their stakeholders and by being good neighbors in each of the communities that they operate.

There are both costs and benefits for any organization that behaves ethically. In regards XXXXX XXXXX they believe that the cost of doing business should not come at the expense of the social, environmental or the moral concerns of the employees or the citizens in the areas in which it operates. During the course of Anglo-American during business it is sometimes necessary for communities to be resettled and this must be done with government sanctions. Obviously, this is something that is not easy and can cause much controversy. When Anglo-American had to deal with relocating two villages in South Africa it came at quite a monetary and time cost. Over the course of several years, Anglo-American gained the support of the provincial government, the local tribe leaders, and the local citizens for their relocation project. Even though this project took several years and came at a high monetary cost the benefits were both short term and long term. The villages were successfully relocated and the relationship with the villages in South Africa was stronger than before this project began.

Primark has also realized both the costs and the benefits of applying ethical behavior within the operation of its’ organization. Because textiles are typically manufactured in low wage and high manual skill economies that are generally located in developing areas of the world, it would be easy to have unfair working conditions in order to achieve higher profits. Primark does not do this as it is an organization that takes pride in acting responsibly towards their employees. In factories in such areas as China and India that supply products to a range of retailers Primark makes sure that their factories set the same wage rate to their employees regardless of which retailer the goods they produce are supplied. By doing this the cost for wages is higher for the company, but the benefit is ethical treatment for the employees and better employee relations.

One component of the Svensson and Woods’ model that I believe to be relevant for both Anglo-American and Primark is the element of external stakeholder relationships. Anglo-American benefits in both financial and in non-financial ways from its positive stakeholder relationships. Because Anglo-American demonstrates more caring and sustainable approach in it’s mining efforts the company has become the organization of choice for many governments and communities in developing regions. This is increased its profits via the stock market. Many long term investors, such as pension funds, believe that it is important to choice a company that considers social and ethical issues to be as important as profits. Because of their ethical behavior their external stakeholder relationships continue to grow and become stronger and more profitable. Anglo-American establishes goals each year for sustainable development. Some of these goals are to work without fatal accidents occurring, to eliminate occupational diseases and to increase the benefits of mining for local communities. Each of these elements have made external stakeholders relationships not only positive in nature, but stronger and helped to develop a positive reputation in the business community which in turn, brings more stakeholders. Due to Anglo-American’s ethical business behavior and the positive relationship that they have built with their external stakeholders, Anglo-American has licence to operate in countries such as South Africa, Brazil and Chili.

Ethical business practices in today’s business community can make or break an organization. Competition in all industries is harsh and the answer is no longer to increase profits at the expense of employees, local citizens, or governments. The use of ethics in business requires patience, commitment, dedication, and respect. The benefits of applying ethical business behavior will not only be a higher profit margin, but a reputation of integrity and better working relationships with employees, local communities and governments and with other organizations.

References:
1. Svensson, Goran, and Greg Wood. “A Model of Business Ethics.” Journal of Business Ehics, 77:303-322. (2008)

2. Ferrell, O.C. And John Fraedrich. “Business Ethics: Ethical Decision Making & Cases.” Cengage Learning, 9th edition. January 1, 2012.

3. “Primark: Providing Consumers with Ethically Sourced Garments.” The Times 100-Business Case Studies. www.thetimes100.co.uk.

It was a pleasure being able to work with you.

Please remember to click one of the top three icons, as that is the only way that I get paid.
Smile

I look forward to working with you on future assignments. To request me, simply type, “For Lisa K.” before the question.

Have a wonderful evening,
Lisa
Lisa L. Kawecki, Certified Teacher
Experience: BA in Eng. & Edu.; 15 yrs. Teaching Exp.
Hello Jennifer,

I want to thank you for the opportunity to work with you on this assignment. I hope to work with you on future assignments. I hope you are having an enjoyable weekend.

Thank you kindly,
Lisa
Hello Jennifer,
I wanted to take the opportunity to thank you for being able to work with you on this paper. It is a pleasure assisting you. I hope to be able to work with you on your future assignments. To request me, simply type, "For Lisa K." before the question.
Have a wonderful week,
Lisa