Michael, Entertainment Industry Analyst
Experience:  Entertainment Industry Professional

A long , long time ago there was a road race that Kenny

Customer Question

A long , long time ago there was a road race that Kenny Roberts had to start in last place, This had to be in the 70's perhaps early 80's I think it was due to mechanical problems, anyway he went on to win that race. I think it was at Laguna Seca but I could be wrong. I do not remenber what cycle magazine it was in. Reading that story of his win took my breath away. He was passing on the outside of the turns, sliding around corners etc. That was such a story that it has stuck in my mind for some 40 years but I have not been able to find it in print. Is there any chance you could tell me where to find it. I thank you for your time. Bill *******

Category: Entertainment
Expert:  Michael replied 6 months ago.
Hi Bill,Amazing race as this evening went ahead to conduct a little research on this and it seems the event was at Indy in 1975. Kenny Roberts came from dead last to win on a TZ700/750 Yamaha. While it has been difficult to narrow down the exact article you mentioned as much has been written on this race, something close to it I believe can be found here in the magazine "Moto Retro". Article that can be purchased is titled "Kenny Roberts Now • Wild Thing: What happened at the '75 Indy Mile by Kenny Roberts" Issue #2
Customer: replied 6 months ago.

That is not the race I am looking for, although that was a good one, i have been looking around and i believe it was at Sears Point where he started in last place and was in the lead by lap 4, that is the article i want

Expert:  Michael replied 6 months ago.
Thank you Bill for the updates as continuing to search for the article. I see in this link below of a 1979 Cycle Magazine where the story is " Kenny Roberts at Sears Point"
Customer: replied 6 months ago.

thank you for that however I was really looking for digital article, the link you gave me is to buy a magazine for $28. That is not what I want and I can not be sure that is the article with out paying. Surely there has to be another source. Can you get another option please?

Expert:  Michael replied 6 months ago.
Very difficult to narrow down the article to be sure this or anyone is the one in question. Let me continue to search but for right now will opt-out for other experts to look as well. If I do come up with an article, I will be sure to send to your attention.Michael
Expert:  Michael replied 6 months ago.
Hi Bill,Conducting a bit more research and my thought is that the article from Cycle Magazine that I listed above (Kenny Roberts at Sears Point) might be the one you remember and looking for. The problem is that databases that offer articles used in libraries only go back as far as the early 1980's. And many magazines will keep their collection on their site as the only way to retrieve a particular article would be to access via their site. Cycle is one of those that for a small fee, you can retrieve the article. Not sure if you wish to pay for the article but something to consider. Check with the magazine site as back issues and articles are available this way.Hope the information I provided can be of some help.Librarian Michael