Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan, Internet Researcher
Experience:  Extensive experience in research and problem solving.
23511658

Can somebody please help me please to stage a piano

Customer Question

Hello, Can somebody please help me please to stage a piano performance in my home. I have a large black piano -9 foot grand-. I need to create a romantic setting with candleabra and roses and?.... I am interested in a Richard Clayderman like image... I
do not know how to create a photographic set for this to work out. Here is a little bit about me.. https://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=23141450&trk=nav_responsive_tab_profile And here is an example of a video and the room that the piano is in. https://www.dropbox.com/s/tgh9fxpjnp1x2o8/MrEvanFantaisieImpromptufacebook%20003.avi?dl=0
Am looking for someone to work with me set wise so that I can shoot this video with good photography and sound. Here is a Richard Clayderman video...I would like to make this in the room I have though I could rent somewhere else ...but I think it could be
done? Many Thanks, Evan
Category: Entertainment
Expert:  Michael Hannigan replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is***** can help you with your question. I do happen to know the perfect person for you. I just don't know if I will be able to contact them. Are you actually looking for someone to help you stage a real piano event, or by stage do you mean to make it look like a real event for the photograph? Because those would be 2 completely different people. But I do know people that do both.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your reply Michael!!!!
I would like (NEED) to videotape the performance ..so yes it is a live "event" . however I can see a possibility as just mounting a photograph too an my playing away in the background. But that is not ideal..The real thing...is what am after!
Thanks!
Evan
Thank you for the additional information. I had not looked at the video previously but wow! The person I was thinking of is a concert pianist and probably not the best person for advice on the video. The video from your dropbox would actually be very simple to follow. Basically all he has a camcorder on a tripod. Of course, there are other things you can do like miking the piano which could give you superb sound. If this were to be done professionally, the way it would be done is to record the video and the audio independently. And then add the audio track to the video in postproduction. That's a lot to do, but if that's the route you wanted to go and something you think you wanted yourself I can help you with advice on how to do it. You would need some special equipment for it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
HI Michael,
Yes, I know how to separately Mic the piano, separately record and most likely upload the result in windows movie maker?
But ....I think really need to know about staging. I'd like it to be convenient and use my own piano ...just sort of hoping that this might be possible. ...also someone to help me with ideas that could work in my own studio for this purpose. ..Otherwise going to have to film this on location somewhere. ..that could be expensive and other things like ...I might feel more at home here ....throwing things out as it were. Thanks for your interest and help...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
HI Michael -
happy to rate you ...just don't feel like I'm getting what I need answered here yet. Am looking for someone to give me advice on staging..that is it. Staging to me means props, or what to use how to hang background etc..
Sorry for the confusion.
and thanks.Evan
The only thing you need to be concerned about with the staging is the lighting.
To do it correctly, you will need at least three. One on each side of the camera - one of those should be a flood/filler light, and the other should be more focused on you (called the key light)... this is to get the front lit sufficiently. In addition to that, you need at least one backlight - from the camera perspective, that will be behind you, usually near the floor and facing up toward your back (or side if you are facing right). This backlight is the key to getting professional results. It's counter-intuitive to put a light facing the camera, but the effect of it is remarkable. It is what provides the contrast between you and the background. If you have two floodlights rather than a key and a filler, you can use those, one is the under light and the other is the top light (one low on one side and one high on the other). If you can do this, then your studio will look at least as good as any other location you can go to. In fact, since you can control the lighting there, you have more control over the result. It's much more difficult to film on location than it is in a controlled environment. If that type of lighting were present in the sample video, the difference would be remarkable. These lights are not expensive, BTW. You can get all of them for a few hundred dollars.
Here are some examples:
http://amzn.to/1LXsRND
Sorry... I was replying at the same time. I would consider all the components to make a successful video to be part of the staging - the most important I mentioned above.
For props and things like that - you will be a better judge of that than anyone. The items that you have visible are entirely subjective - there is no right or wrong here. The lighting is another story - there are a handful of ways you can light the studio and get professional results.
IF you want candles on the piano, candles would be great... roses? I depends a great deal on what emotions you are trying to convey. On the linkedin profile, I don't see a picture of the room.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Michael
Thanks again ...I will send picture of the room in a little bit. Then please don't be concerned - I'm rating you 5 stars..just want your full input on this either today or tomorrow whenever we can get this done!
Many Thanks!
Evan
Sure... I'll be happy to!