Miranda
Miranda, Actor/Director/Editor/Writer/College English Professor
Experience:  B.A., A.S., Independent film actor, theater actor/director, English professor (2+ years), and freelance editor (10+ years)
75554464

Hi.Has anyone worked in the modelling industry or still

Hi.

Has anyone worked in the modelling industry or still works there?
Category: Entertainment
Expert:  Miranda replied 1 year ago.

I do have some past experience in the modeling industry (independent photography and some independent modeling). I would be happy to try to answer any questions you may have.

It may take me a little while to respond to your questions for the next few hours because I have to go teach a class, but I will respond as soon as possible.

Miranda

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Miranda my name is XXXXX XXXXX to meet you. Am wondering are there a lot of bad people who work in the modelling industry like any other job? I want to work in the modelling industry soon. Am not trying to be rude either.

Expert:  Miranda replied 1 year ago.

Hi William,

It's nice to meet you too. And you are definitely not being rude to ask these questions. Just as with any job, there are people in the modeling industry who will try to take advantage of people, particularly new models who are just trying to get into the industry.

There are fake "agencies" who try to scam hopeful models for money for fake services, photos the model will never receive, etc., and then the "agency" will just disappear. There are also photographers, etc., out there who are not legitimate and who will try to cause some form of harm to an innocent model who just showed up for a gig.

The best thing to do is research whatever agency you are looking at applying to thoroughly. Are there any bad reports online about them? Are they associated with scams? Are there good reviews? Are they in good standing with the Better Business Bureau?

Also, if you have a photo shoot with a photographer you have never worked with before (particularly if you are working with independent photographers in an attempt to build your portfolio), always bring someone with you. Never go alone. If the photographer is not all right with you bringing someone along, there is a good chance that they may have something sinister in mind, and you shouldn't work with them.

When I worked as an independent photographer, I always insisted that any potential models I worked with brought someone with them. I also had someone with me. That way everyone involved felt safe and comfortable, particularly if we were meeting in a more seculuded location instead of a very public place.

Please let me know if you have any other questions. I will be signing off for a while because my class is about to start, but I will try to hop back on for a few minutes during breaks.

It's been my pleasure helping you. Please remember to rate my answer positively, as rating me is the only way I receive payment/credit for my work. If you would like to request my help in the future, please post your question with "For Miranda Only" at the beginning, and I will respond.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Miranda. Thank you very much. What i meant was are there bad people in the modelling industry who bully, tease or make fun of others because they can't do the job and other bad situations?

Expert:  Miranda replied 1 year ago.

Hi William,

Sorry for the misunderstanding. There are certainly people in the modeling industry who bully and tease. Unfortunately, there are people in every profession who do that, although it definitely can be worse in modeling because so much is based on physical appearance. Some people take pleasure in making other people unhappy and uncomfortable, pointing out "flaws" and just generally being mean because it makes them feel better about themselves.

However, not everyone in the industry is like that. The majority of the models I know are very kind and helpful, and they like to help people that are new to the industry (give them tips, introduce them to other models/photographers, etc.). It's just like every profession: some people are nice and some aren't.

My advice is to be as professional as possible in every modeling situation. If someone is unpleasant, ignore them as much as you can. Don't let them bother you. Some people thrive on creating "drama," and if you don't respond to them, they will probably stop bothering you because they know it's pointless to do so.

Please let me know if you have any other questions. It's been my pleasure helping you. Please remember to rate my answer positively, as rating me is the only way I receive payment/credit for my work. If you would like to request my help in the future, please post your question with "For Miranda Only" at the beginning, and I will respond.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Miranda. No problem from before. What happens if i can't stand the bullying or teasing and who should i tell?

Expert:  Miranda replied 1 year ago.

If the bullying/teasing were to get really severe and unprofessional, especially to the point where it was hindering your work, tell whoever is in charge of whatever you are doing (the photographer, the agent, the photo shoot director, etc.). Harassment is not tolerated.

However--and I wish there was an easier way to say this--but in this industry you have to essentially grow a "thick skin." If you let every time someone teases you bother you, it will be extremely difficult to succeed. You have to let most of it go. Now, if it is something serious, definitely tell whoever is in charge. But if it's something small, ignore it and move on as best as you can.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

What happens if i don't do the job very well am i going to be shouted at?

Expert:  Miranda replied 1 year ago.

I have never seen anyone be shouted at for doing something wrong. Shouting is extremely unprofessional. They may tell you to change something (move your head, change your facial expression, switch your position, try a different angle, hold something a different way, etc.), but they probably won't shout at you. And on the off-chance someone did, they probably wouldn't be in the industry for very long because no one would work with them.

There's always a chance someone may be unpleasant or snarky because they're having a bad day, but most of the time things will be kept very professional.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

How much do models get paid at their first job is it like $20 or $10 since i want to apply for this modelling job?: http://www.ukmodelagencies.co.uk/source-models-poole-i6472.html

Also your saying most of the time modelling jobs people don't bully or tease others even if i don't do the job very well at the start like other models?

Expert:  Miranda replied 1 year ago.

Hi William,

Payment honestly depends on the job. At first, especially if you're doing something independent of an agency, you may not get paid at all. Once you're with an agency, it depends on what type of job it is, the agency's cut of your pay, etc. The link you listed appears to be for a modeling agency. So, if I understand correctly, you're going to apply to work for this agency?

Most of the time people on modeling jobs don't bully or tease others. Everyone usually tries to be as professional as possible. I'm not saying you won't come across the occasional nasty person, but on the whole, everyone will be professional. As for being new, they will try to work with you. My advice is to be as professional and friendly as possible on any job. Try to introduce yourself to everyone you possibly can and be friendly and open. Ask for tips from some of the people you meet. A lot of people will be willing to give you helpful advice.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Miranda. Yes i want to work for the modelling agency i sent you what do you think and have to say?

Expert:  Miranda replied 1 year ago.

Hi William,

Source Models in the UK looks like a reputable agency. I did a search to see if there were any scams or bad reviews associated with the agency, and I didn't find any. I think it looks good, and they appear to appeal to all types of models.

The biggest thing to watch out for is to make sure that they don't ask for any type of fee upfront. The only type of fees they are allowed to charge are fees/commission from earnings that you make from work the agency finds for you. These fees should be outlined and given to you in writing in some form of contract.

There is application information and new model FAQs on their direct website: http://www.sourcemodels.co.uk/

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The modelling agency i showed you on the website what are the amounts of money i can make with starting off as those types of models?

Expert:  Miranda replied 1 year ago.

Source Models UK is the agency you showed me from the link (the link you sent is actually more of a research source for models, not the actual agency). Their direct website, which you should use to contact them, is http://www.sourcemodels.co.uk/

As for money, again, it really depends. Some experienced models make thousands of dollars for one photo shoot, where others are lucky to make $100. At first, your pay is going to be very low because you are new and inexperienced in modeling. If you do independent work outside of the agency, you may make nothing or get something in exchange (for example, free photos in exchange for the photographer using your photos in their portfolio). It all depends on what kind of work you do, how much work you get, and how much the agency is going to take on commission.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

So sourcemodels find jobs for models is that right?

Expert:  Miranda replied 1 year ago.

Hi William,

Sorry it took me a while to respond. I'm in an upcoming horror movie, and I was out filming for most of the afternoon/evening. Fun times.

If Source Models signs you as a client/model, yes, they would find jobs for you (photography, runway, promotional, etc.). I would suggest either making an appointment with them, which you can do on their website, or attending an open casting call. That way you can meet them, they can meet you, and you can both decide if this agency is the right fit for you. If it is, that's awesome. If not, there are many other modeling agencies that you can apply to.

Make sure you have some headshots of yourself to show them, along with any other portfolio work you may have.

Please don't forget to give me a positive rating, as rating me is the only way I receive payment/credit for my answers. Let me know if you have any other questions. If you would like to request my help in the future, please post your question with "For Miranda Only" at the beginning, and I will respond.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Miranda. No problem don't worry. The last time i phoned up they said just send one photo of my face and head that's all then they will see if am suitable?

For international modelling what is that like since i might want to work for the Japanese modelling agency and do they provide me with a fee for living there and travelling to Japan from the United Kingdom since i live here in the United Kingdom?

Expert:  Miranda replied 1 year ago.

Hi William,

Most likely they will look at your photo and decide if they are interested in scheduling an interview with you where they will discuss signing you, contracts, etc. However, every agency is different, but that is the policy for most agencies.

I'm honestly not extremely familiar with international modeling, as my experience is in the US. I would assume that it would depend on the agency's policies, your history with them, the jobs you get, etc., as to what kind of fee they would give you for traveling/living arrangements for Japan. It's possible that they could provide you assistance, but it's difficult to say for certain.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have a related question to ask you about the movie industry like the modelling industry is that ok?

Expert:  Miranda replied 1 year ago.

Sure. However, I would greatly appreciate it if you would give me a positive rating for the answers I've given you so far. :)

By the way, I have to leave for a movie shoot in about half an hour, so I won't be able to respond after I leave until I get home later on tonight.

Experience: B.A., A.S., Independent film actor, theater actor/director, English professor (2+ years), and freelance editor (10+ years)
Expert:  Miranda replied 1 year ago.

Hi William,

Thanks for the excellent rating. It is very much appreciated. :)

I'm about to sign off to get ready to leave for my movie shoot. Please feel free to post your questions about the movie industry, and I will answer them as soon as I get home later tonight.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

About the movie industry are there a lot of people in there that are rude, bully people and tease people?

With the modelling job the thing is if i have a photo of myself i have some black bags under my eyes a little bit i wouldn't get employed since i don't look good?

Expert:  Miranda replied 1 year ago.

The movie industry is similar to the modeling industry in how people are. Most people are nice, helpful, and professional, but there will always be some people who like to be rude to others. It's unavoidable in any profession. There will always be the "drama king/queen" who likes to make everything about them and delights in making everyone else uncomfortable. I would suggest doing what I do with these type of people: be professional, deal with them only when you have to, and avoid them like the plague the rest of the time.

As for the modeling photo, having bags under your eyes isn't the end of the world. However, you want to put your best foot forward with this agency, so I would suggest having another photo taken and using concealer to cover up the bags under your eyes. I get black bags under my eyes too, and concealer does the trick.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

What is concealer?

Expert:  Miranda replied 1 year ago.

It's a type of makeup that helps conceal imperfections (bags under the eyes, pimples, blemishes, etc.). Any makeup brand should carry a type of concealer (Cover Girl, Maybelline, Revlon, Loreal, etc.). Just go to your local store and look through the makeup section for concealer. It should be skin color (ranging from a light cream to dark, depending on your skin color), and it may come in a bottle or a stick of some type. Make sure that it matches your skin color as closely as possible. If you can't find it, a sales associate will be able to help you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Because when i used to work in the fast food place in my town their were a lot of rude, bullies and bad people or most of them were because i couldn't do the job well. Am expecting the same in the modelling industry and movie industry?

Expert:  Miranda replied 1 year ago.

Again, most people in these industries are nice, professional, and helpful, but there will always be someone who is rude and generally unpleasant. Unfortunately, that's just the way it is in any profession, and these are no different. In these industries you have to grow a thick skin and not let this stuff get to you. Because if you let a nasty person affect you to the point where it ruins your performance, the director/client may not want to work with you again. The job is the most important thing.

Like I said, the best way to handle rude people is to be professional, work with them only when you have to, and avoid them the rest of the time.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Miranda. Are you an actor as well as a movie director?

Expert:  Miranda replied 1 year ago.

Hi William,

I'm an actor in both independent movies and theater plays, and I've been a director for theater plays. I haven't ventured into directing movies yet, but it could happen. The movie I'm shooting now is an independent movie with a director (with Hollywood connections) who is starting a new production company. I'm getting in on the "ground floor" with him, and he's mentioned that he might want me to direct a movie for him in the future as well as continue acting. Fun times.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Can I ask you a related question about the movie industry?

Expert:  Miranda replied 1 year ago.
Sure. Go for it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

How long does it take to be a movie director 7-10 years or more?

Expert:  Miranda replied 1 year ago.

It's really hard to say. In Hollywood, I would imagine many years. Your best bet would probably be to do some independent movie directing before trying for big movies.

As for independent movies, you can do that whenever. If you have a script, actors, camera crew, etc., you can direct a movie anytime you want. However, I would suggest acting and doing some behind-the-scenes work first because it allows you to see all sides of the picture.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

What about being a producer?

Expert:  Miranda replied 1 year ago.

I honestly don't know much about producing, but I imagine it's about the same. I would also suggest starting with independent movie producing first.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Hi Miranda can i ask you a question?