Miranda
Miranda, Actor/Director/Editor/Writer/College English Professor
Experience:  B.A., A.S., Independent film actor, theater actor/director, English professor (2+ years), and freelance editor (10+ years)

I wanna make T-shirt Design and sell it .But dont know what'

Customer Question

I wanna make T-shirt Design and sell it .
But don't know what's the subject should I work on ?
So my question is ( At the area or field that expert will answer my question ) What is the people they like ? what's the people Facebook Page/Group they are inside in ?

Example :
People here at X City like this kind of dog , or here I know there is coming event and love something on that event so I can make design and make T-shirt for this event .

I hope my question is clear now , I need particular thing that People love it in particular area or city to make design for T-shirt and sell it to them
Category: Entertainment
Expert:  Martin replied 5 months ago.
Hello and welcome. The T-shirt business is really hard. You must have very good designs and at the same time you need to have access to very high quality and cheap T-shirt to stay competitive. You must also have broad enough appeal to sell enough of one model to be able to reach profitability.

You may decide 2 strategies: You play it safe and "copy" the style and theme of competitors (what you see the most in store), or be a trend setter and define the rules.

There will always be a market for shirt with wolves :), but if you want to appeal to a vast mass market, you will have to target 2 kinds of things (that are not commercially owned, like brand or sport teams): Hobbies and anything that bring local pride (a tradition, a festival, a myth etc..). For example, Montreal is the only Formula One racing event in north America, so cars T-Shirt are selling like hotcake in the race weekend.

Event are a good way to make T-Shirt. Things like pinball expo's, film festival and comic convention are always big buyers. Corporate T-shirt (often frequent in industrial shop or in retail) are often boring and could get better design (you can get good minimal order from those market).

As a note, many like funny cats pictures. If you can do funny cats T-Shirt design (without infringing on photograph/video copyright), it could be best sellers.
Martin, Engineer
Experience: Fan of Cinema and Video Games
Expert:  Cher replied 5 months ago.
Hello, and welcome back to Just Answer!

My name is XXXXX XXXXX it will be my pleasure to assist you today.

If you put events on your t-shirt, they will be short-lived--only popular for that event on that day. Yes, people will buy it as a souvenir of the event, but once the event is over, the popularity of it will fade, and people won't be interested in the t-shirts anymore.

I believe, for women, any photos of baby animals (or babies with mamas) that are cute and perhaps have a funny caption, will be big sellers.

Also, another idea would be to print t-shirts with pictures or caricatures of famous celebrities who are popular now from this era or icons from past eras (like Marilyn Monroe, for example); I think these would be of interest and sell well to both men and women.

If you found my suggestions helpful, please take a moment to provide a positive Rating so I may be credited. Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX it! Laughing

If you would like to discuss this further, I would be happy to continue our conversation; just click "Reply", direct your response to me, 'Cher' and I will answer as soon as possible. Thank you!

Best regards,
Cher
Cher, MENTOR/ENTERTAINMENT
Experience: TV, Movies, Music, Parties, Entertainment Industry Analyst
Expert:  Miranda replied 5 months ago.

I'm Miranda, and I'll be happy to help you with your question. I thought I'd offer my two cents along with my colleagues.

Of course, events, baby animals, hobbies, etc., are popular T-shirt choices, but that could be their fatal flaw. They've been done to death. Flea markets and stores are covered with them. I'm not saying that they aren't a good potential way to make money, but the problem is that everyone who makes T-shirts seems to do the exact same things.

If you want to do something different that will probably help yield some good profits, try something that will appeal to the alternative sub-cultures. I myself am a member of said alternative sub-cultures (I'm steampunk goth), and I can tell you for a fact that shirts playing to goths, steampunk lovers, punks, rockers, etc., will probably do very well. The reason I say this is because there are so few stores/vendors out there that have anything that a goth, etc., would find even remotely appealing (Hot Topic, Spencers, and that's about it unless your city is lucky enough to have a small business boutique that plays to this genre.). Honestly, you couldn't pay me to wear a shirt with a baby animal on it, unless it was a zombie kitten.

What you might try using for your T-shirts are things that are loved by these sub-cultures, such as zombies, vampires, anything steampunk, Day of the Dead interpretations, dark comedy sayings, pirates, magic, twisted fairy tales, etc. You could even try doing celebrities as my colleague mentioned (or non-celebrities), but make them zombies or even Day of the Dead.

I hope that answered your question. If you have further questions, please ask. It's been my pleasure helping you. Please remember to rate my answer positively, as rating me is the only way I receive payment/credit for my work. If you would like to request my help in the future, please post your question with "For Miranda Only" at the beginning, and I will respond.

Experience: B.A., A.S., Independent film actor, theater actor/director, English professor (2+ years), and freelance editor (10+ years)