Martin, Engineer
Experience:  Fan of Cinema and Video Games
14666028

I am a pop music composer, studying a kind of sound in the

I am a pop music composer, studying a kind of sound in the best way that I can, but I need some help getting started in pin-pointing the sub-genre. it's a kookie 60s kind of pop groove with a tambourine and banjo. I'm guessing it's some kind of period gospel/soul. Here are 2 examples:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJz2RNrynHY

This is the disneyland haunted mansion. Later in the track, around 14:00, the graveyard banjo band starts to sing "Grim Grinning Ghosts come Out to socialize".

Here is another example that has the same kookie (even cringie?) 60s tambourine sound:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGF5ROpjRAU

Even the opening theme song from that television show "The Monkees" comes near for me, more so than the opening theme of "Brady Bunch".

I seek ethnomusicological origins so that I may produce something new and interesting while also preserving the essence and spirit of the original sound. I aim to blend between that and the current generation's inferred iconography, hoping to go even further in the direction of "kookie 60s".

thanks for any cultural pointers, playlists, band names, genres, whatever!
Let me review the tracks. To be sure of what you want, you want to know what is the origin of that particular style/sound?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes, i am hoping that origins will let me listen to more examples.

Ok, that is not obvious but for me this give me lot of old cartoon flashback of the 50's up to the 70's. It also remember me a lot of MANY video game music from Japanese developers.

The instrument have a very "Hawaiian" feel also, making me think it may be more a ukulele than a banjo.

This article point to an importation to Hawaii from Portuguese. It also mention an interesting fact relating to Japan:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ukulele

"
The ukulele came to Japan in 1929 after Hawaiian-born Yukihiko Haida returned to the country upon his father's death and introduced the instrument. Haida and his brother Katsuhiko formed the Moana Glee Club, enjoying rapid success in an environment of growing enthusiasm for Western popular music, particularly Hawaiian and jazz. During World War II, authorities banned most Western music, but fans and players kept it alive in secret, and it resumed popularity after the war. In 1959, Haida founded the Nihon Ukulele Association. Today, Japan is considered a second home for Hawaiian musicians and ukulele virtuosos
"

It may explain why it got in many TV production as most studio where on the West Cost and why it also have a little beach boy taste.

In the haunted house it feel more acoustic while in the Nimoy extravaganza it feel more "electrified".

So as for the genre, i would rate this as ukulele jazz.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Other.
difficult to judge accuracy or quality with a cultural artistic discussion, so let's just say i am happy with this response, which is true, but i would also like more opinions, which is also true.