Michael
Michael, Entertainment Industry Analyst
Experience:  Entertainment Industry Professional

Im one of four "regular folk" who supported Adam Carol

Customer Question

I'm one of four "regular folk" who supported Adam Carolla's new film project, "Road Hard", and received a reward of a full cast credit and a speaking role in the movie, including transportation & accommodation.

I'm a 56 year old male, average looking with handsome features, retired CEO, successful, live in Manhattan, and thought it might be fun and helpful to take an acting class in advance of the filming (which commences in Calif. in December).

I don't know whether I'll try to continue in the business after this experience, but in any case would like to do it well, and feel comfortable and enjoy doing it.

Do you have suggestions for an appropriate acting class in Manhattan given my circumstance? How long a series of classes would you suggest? (Would you even suggest acting classes in my circumstance? (Sedgwick - Russell acting classes? An improv class series? ) thanks!
Category: Entertainment
Expert:  Michael replied 10 months ago.
Congrats on getting work on a film project right off the bat. It seems from what you have written that you are interested in furthering along with this craft and enjoy the work. I would agree that in your circumstances being retired and have a successful life living in NYC that continuing with something that you enjoy can bring you happiness as well as a second career outside the corporate environment.

As for classes to check out, you can start by looking at continuing education classes within the NYC area. Look to see first what might interest you at first and try different types of acting to get a feel of where you might want to continue with.

Spent the morning researching some of the reviewed acting courses in the NYC area:

1. CBS 2 last year reviewed the 5 best acting schools to look at:

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/top-lists/best-acting-classes-in-new-york/

2. Backstage is the leading publication in the industry and has quite the list and breakdown of major acting schools in the area:

http://www.backstage.com/advice-for-actors/resources/new-york-acting-schools-and-coaches_4/

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
I appreciate your timely response, but forgive me - don't consider it an expert response. My own google searches came up with the two surest ions you provided, and many, many more.

I am looking for expert advice from someone with acting and acting school knowledge in New York City, who can recommend specific schools based on their experience, or based on recommendations they themselves have received.

Again thank you, XXXXX XXXXX response is not at all helpful.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Relist: Answer quality.I appreciate your timely response, but forgive me - don't consider it an expert response. My own google searches came up with the two surest ions you provided, and many, many more. I am looking for expert advice from someone with acting and acting school knowledge in New York City, who can recommend specific schools based on their experience, or based on recommendations they themselves have received.Additional info: I have never acted before, nor do I know if I will ever act again. But I will have a speaking role in a Hollywood production that begins filming in December, and hope to do a good job, and explore my interest in continuing in this field.Again thank you, XXXXX XXXXX response is not at all helpful.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
Please review my question. I look for a response / guidance from someone with a background in, or personal knowledge of the NYC acting school scene. (I can, and have done my own Google searches.)
Thank you.
Expert:  Josie-Mod replied 10 months ago.
Hi, I’m Josie a moderator for this topic. It seems the professional has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the professional thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. I've been working hard to find a new professional to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still needing assistance from an other one of our professionals?

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question.

Also remember that JustAnswer has a multitude of categories to help you with all your needs from Pet to Legal.

Thank you,

Josie~Moderator
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Josie - please go ahead and credit my PayPal account for the $15.00 I paid for your expert's assistance. Once you've done so you can call off the search to fina another, more appropriate "expert".

Kindly acknowledge.

Thank you.