Martin, Engineer
Experience:  Fan of Cinema and Video Games
14666028

Hello, I would need a professional opinion in this matter.

Customer Question

Hello, I would need a professional opinion in this matter. I am a music composer with a BA in composition striving to establish myself but I find it hard cause I dont have a lot of contacts where I live. What would be a good way to get started and get work? And how can I get in contact with ensembles/orchestras/organizations to write for? Im not sure if there is a place where it is easier to do this and where there are more opportunities than where I am. By the way Im writing in all genres but at the moment mostly musical theatre and classical music. I have to reconsidering going back to school and study if I don´t get work soon. By the way I cant work as teacher at the moment cause I have a diagnosis in the autistic spectrum and no degree. And also this makes it more difficult to interact in social situations and do networking. Thx Isa

Category: Entertainment
Expert:  Martin replied 3 years ago.
Hello and welcome. You could try to work for TV station and production houses. One other way is to work for a video game studio, a famous one in Sweden is DICE http://dice.se/ As it is part of EA you could have lot of work if you can get in.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thx for the info Martin, but video games is not in my field.

Expert:  Martin replied 3 years ago.
Too bad, lot of classical music in video game these days. You would not even see the difference with "ordinary" music and is frequently played by the world largest orchestra worldwide (the London Philharmonic among other).

You could also contact local songwriter in Sweden, many never do the music itself and only put words on it.

The best way to get in contact with musicians is to go see them play and offer them a portfolio of your past work. Music festival is also a great way to meet them.

Another avenue is to get into the marketing/ad agency world. There is lot of money to be made in small jingle type of music.

As you mention theater, you could send demo to all the country stage director.