Cher
Cher, MENTOR/ENTERTAINMENT
Experience:  TV, Movies, Music, Parties, Entertainment Industry Analyst
1470369

You answered a question about using "matching" objects and

You answered a question about using "matching" objects and colors in photos in the news and more is happening this year. What is your opinion of this, and do you find it in any way supportive personally to people, is it acceptable to NOT do that in a photo, or is it more acceptable to do that nowadays? Do you think people should like it and support it, or is it simply up to them whether they like it meaning, not something everyone should like? I've seen a lot of this, have you?

And what do you think about objects that normally don't go together

being associated this way just because they match? Thanks.Smile

Category: Entertainment
Expert:  Cher replied 1 year ago.
Hello again, and thanks for requesting me; I appreciate it!

In answer to your question, I've seen this in some cases and depending on for what purpose and how it's used, I can either like it or not like it.

I feel it is most definitely acceptable for things to match in a photo, and if they don't match, it can be due to artistic expression of the photographer and/or advertiser. People have the right to make up their own mind and express their opinion on whether they like it or not and not be influenced by anyone else; in order to be a true opinion, it must come from the person and be honest and heartfelt.

It was popular in the late 70's/early 80's to wear mismatched clothing for both men and women. I just saw a repeat of a classic tv program and one male character was wearing striped pants and a flowered shirt. I asked myself, 'how could this have been in fashion??' lol Personally, I don't like that kind of pairing, but in women's clothing especially, it is my opinion that something that is a little 'off' and not totally matching can be intriguing and make it more interesting, as long as the photo or ad is shot by a professional who does everything 'right' to get his/her point across, within the work.

If you need any additional information or clarification, simply 'Reply' back before rating and I will be happy to help with any follow up questions.

If my response has satisfied all your concerns, a positive rating and positive feedback on the survey would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! Laughing

If you would like to request me to answer any new, future questions, please begin your post with "For Cher" and I will respond as soon as possible.

Thank you for entrusting your important question to Just Answer!

Warmest regards,
Cher
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

What do you think about objects in photos that normally don't go together being associated in a photo simply because they match? And then,what about two things that match too closely in photos, obviously not a usual combination, except that they match? What is the popular opinion about this if there is one? What if it looks bad except it matches, one example of that being an earring matching a commercial logo in the background? That's it for me on this subject, thanks.Smile

Expert:  Cher replied 1 year ago.

Hi again, and your most welcome!

Thanks for your reply.

Re: 'objects in photos that normally don't go together being associated in a photo simply because they match'--I like it because it's unique.

If two things match too closely in a photo, it might seem boring, but it would also depend on the entire composition of the photo.

I think the general consensus on this is that things should match because that makes the photo 'even' and easier to look at, but then again, as I mentioned, its interpretation is a very individual thing.

An earring with a logo of the product being advertised and the logo in the background, I think is smart advertising.

Warmest regards,
Cher
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

O.K., the earring was not a logo earring, it was round and there was a round logo behind the subject's head in the
picture...it was on the other side of her head from the

earring. Something like it was a picture of a large sand sculpture with detail but the sand sculpture did not seem to be the entire point, the photo showed more of the beach so the sculpture got lost in the picture, you had to hunt for it but it matched the beach sand, that seemed to be the point, that type of thing. It was an ad so not done for a joke...

Expert:  Cher replied 1 year ago.
Hi again, and thanks for your reply.

Ok, thanks for your clarification on the earring. It sounded like the earring matched the logo behind the subject. If it didn't contain the logo, but the logo was behind the other side of the woman's head, just because both were round, that doesn't sound like a very good ad to me.

If the sand sculpture was not that prominent in the picture because it matched the entire beach of sand, it might have been a clever way to express the intention of whatever it was the ad was selling, if you had to hunt for the sand sculpture. It made you look for it harder and you felt 'victorious' when you found it, so this might have helped you retain what it was that was being advertised. I think its a clever advertising ploy! : )

Warmest regards,
Cher
Cher, MENTOR/ENTERTAINMENT
Experience: TV, Movies, Music, Parties, Entertainment Industry Analyst