Cher
Cher, MENTOR/ENTERTAINMENT
Experience:  TV, Movies, Music, Parties, Entertainment Industry Analyst
1470369

For Cher: What is the significance of the dress of First Lady

For Cher: What is the significance of the dress of First Lady Mrs. Obama and
Laura Bush at the African Summit 2013? I want to know, was Mrs. Obama's
dress chosen to go with the background, and are the photos where one of the
flags coordinates with the print on her dress reflective of a modern technique
for photos, I wanted to know because I have seen a lot of them where the
different parts of the picture are coordinated to go together, match sort of.
Is Laura Bush, wearing of red, wearing of tan pearls to match her shoes different than in the past, is it modern? Or is that insignificant, was it worn
for any reason, is it modern, and different because of being modern, than
what was worn, last year or a few years ago with respect to coordination
with the outfit itself and the way the photo was taken? Was it done for a
reason and was thought given to it, is it modern? Mrs. Obama's print matched
the flag behind her in the pattern of it in one photo. What is your opinion of
this, any special significance like that? I wanted to know if things like that
were being done more now, rather than using other reasons like a more
flattering color or favorite color or designer, or is that done with the rest like
I have asked here? The pictures can be found by typing in Mrs. Obama
Pictures at African Summit 2013, then clicking on Images of Mrs. Obama
Pictures at African Summit 2013. Another thing that goes along with this is
a tennis player, Ms. Sharapova, wearing green shoelaces and accents to
her tennis dress that were the same green as the tennis ball they were using.
I saw that on T.V., so I am wondering if there is a trend toward whimsical or
clever matching with photography and the fashion I asked about here. Thanks.
Category: Entertainment
Expert:  Cher replied 1 year ago.
Hi again, and thanks very much for requesting me!

I did see Mrs. Bush and Mrs. Obama together in a news story on TV today, but didn't notice their dresses/shoes and the flag in the background, so I will research this for you and get back to you as soon as possible.

Thanks for your patience.

Best regards,
Cher
Expert:  Cher replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,

Mrs. Bush is wearing a red dress and her necklace (pearls?) do look like they match her shoes which are tan or coppery. I think it is coincidental that the flag behind her is red, white and blue, the same colors as the U.S. flag, but all the flags diplayed are from African nations. Matching jewelry and shoes is not an especially 'modern' notion, as it has been done for years. It is a style that is accepted and worn by many women.

Mrs. Obama's dress looks like it is a black and white print and she is wearing red shoes. This combination is often worn together. While there is some black and white on the flags behind her, I don't think this was done purposely. I believe that each woman wore a dress, shoes and jewelry of her choice, helped, perhaps by a personal assistant.

The shoe laces and other matching colors worn by Ms. Sharapova were meant to match the color of the tennis balls. Other star players also used dashes of these colors of tennis, to show their allegiance to the game. Yes, it's partly whimsical and to call attention to themselves, but is also appropriate, since as I mentioned these are 'the colors of tennis'.

If you need any additional information or clarification, simply 'Reply' back before rating and I will be happy to help with any follow up questions.

If my response has satisfied all your concerns, a positive rating and positive feedback on the survey would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! Laughing

If you would like to request me to answer any new, future questions, please begin your post with "For Cher" and I will respond as soon as possible.

Thank you for entrusting your important question to Just Answer!

Warmest regards,
Cher
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks. So brown pearls are not unusual or modern style in that they

match her hair, or are that color? Also, can you tell me if the photos

by the African flags drew attention to or portrayed the colors, prints

of Mrs. Bush and Mrs. Obama's outfits in a different or modern way?

I wanted to know if the angle of some or all of the photos which seemed

to include the red and black and shape of the pattern of the design on one of the flags matching the open triangular pattern on Mrs. Obama's dress or what the photos included was any kind of new trend as of

2013, or has that been done before? I couldn't tell. It relates to why the

things were done though which you have answered about, great.

The 'colors of tennis' you mention: has this type of thing seen recently, been done before? Is the whimsical and 'call attention to themselves'

aspect a new or newer thing, referring to the examples in this question?

Or has this exact type of thing you refer to been done before this year?

I wanted to know if it has been done for those reasons or if that has

been the situation in 2012, or earlier. I thought the tennis ball colors Ms.

Sharapova wore, which you said was acceptable, (hoping that was it), could

have been more whimsical than acceptable. What do you say? This computer is spacing on its own if the lines are not closer on this post. It does that sometimes.
You got this it seems, but : I have seen hairstyles this year which seem to make the

point that the hair all matches, in color. The style separates parts of the hair in a

way that is not as traditionally flattering but seems to not be necessary except that

it matches, is the same color, which is the point (a point) being made besides just

the haircut. Is that being done like that?

Since I'm here, is red a color that makes the wearer feel especially

more secure this year, in 2013, for any reason besides it is trendy, does it hold significance for someone or people who are setting the trends or popular or is it related to something that would make the wearer feel included or very acceptable in a favorable way? Do people wear it knowing it means something special to important people or others beyond those they are in

direct contact with, people they may meet or be exposed to? Is

it 'in' in any special way this year?

Expert:  Cher replied 1 year ago.
Hi again, and you're most welcome!

Thanks for your reply and your patience, as i was offline when you posted back.

Mrs. Bush's necklace matched her outfit and shoes and and this is both a traditional and modern aspect. I don't think the patterns of the flags behind Mrs. Obama had anything to do with the pattern of her dress, however, I'm sure that for broadcast programs and photos known to be done in advance, the assistants who recommend what the First Ladies should wear take into account the 'background' so nothing clashes, but I'm sure they don't plan on the outfits to 'match', specifically.

Re: the tennis colors, yes, they have been worn before, in shoes, laces, and trims on tennis dresses/outfits, and last year, one player dyed her hair to match: (scroll down a little) http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2348582/Wimbledon-2013-Forget-tennis-Maria-Sharapovas-keepy-uppy-star.html

Red is 'in' this year, and many celebrities and others are wearing it. I believe Mrs. Bush has worn red before, in public appearances and on tv, etc. Nancy Regan was well-known for wearing a lot of red, as it was her favorite color and the President said he loved her in it.

The hair, I can't really comment about. I believe some celebrities wear styles that are 'in' and others wear styles that suit them best, XXXXX XXXXX is the 'trend' at the time, or not. If you were referring to the tennis players only, I think they wear mainly short hair or longer hair up in a ponytail, as it is the most comfortable.

I hope this helped.

Warmest regards,
Cher
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

So, with Laura Bush are the tan pearls matching her hair a point, or not at all? Is that something being done this year more than in the past? In the article with the

Wimbledon photos, there is an orange ball and it matches something orange in the background and the Nike logos seem to match (Ms. Sharapova on the link you sent), are photos like that seen in the news and from society and charity events,featuring more matching this year than in the past? I am comparing it, and when it started to happen. Are there more pictures of animals with the fur matching other animals in the picture or the background colors, are there clothing colors worn like a dress that matches the wood trim on the wall behind the clothing in a picture, and in a scene, say a fence matching the background or sky more, and is that being done more in 2013 than before? Need to know that...also, is red this year something that has been established because of a favorite color of a member of the upper class or establishment somewhere or more than one member, is it attached to something they value or was it made to do that then became popular, or why, is it popular? Does it make someone important remember something they like or make them more comfortable, what is the main point or points here? Was it established in a different way than in the past? Thanks.Smile

Expert:  Cher replied 1 year ago.
Hi again, and thanks for your reply and additional questions.

I will do some research on these items and get back to you in a little while with my answer.
Thanks for your patience!

Best regards,
Cher
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

And, is the matching done for whimsical reasons or part of the point in pictures the point, or is that not it at all? If it is, is it being done more in 2013 than before this year? THANKS.Smile

Expert:  Cher replied 1 year ago.
Hi again, and thanks for your patience.

Re: Laura Bush's pearls matching her hair, no, I don't think this was done for a reason. I've seen her wear white pearls, too. As I mentioned, because she has dark brown hair, she can wear just about any color jewelry.

Re: the tennis pictures with the orange ball, the background was not purposely set to match that, but if the Nikes logo was orange, then that was done on purpose. Yes, I understand what you're getting at and I do think the matching thing is going on more frequently, these days, in this situation. It's pleasing to the eye and people enjoy it. If a photo is 'set up' and not taken candidly, yes, the background will be set to match the clothing or animal's fur to make it more interesting, especially if there is contrast or there are similar colors.

Red has always been a favorite color of celebrities because it makes them 'stand out', and even if it's not considered 'in' in a certain year of fashion, many wear it anyway for the reasons you asked about; it draws attention to them and if the dress, etc., is fasionable, fits well and is accessorized appropriately, it will look good in any case. Red is a festive color and that's why it's worn very often on the red carpet of special events, etc.

Yes, I think the matching is being done more this year, in 2013, and you have a great eye for noticing that!

Warmest regards,
Cher

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

And is the matching part of the point, whimsical? Is a dress that matches the

wood paneling on a wall behind the dress for a picture, is that done so the viewers can appreciate that it matches, and realize it is on purpose sort of and not that it is poor quality or that something was not attended to or forgotten? Can you give me an example of what you mean when you speak of the matching that is more in

2013? Thanks.Smile Is it just good photography or whatever, or is the matching the point somewhat with it being part of the experience, something not always or

usually seen? Is it at all funny or any other meaning behind it like symbol of good taste in your opinion? Like, it says, I realize this does match?

Expert:  Cher replied 1 year ago.
Hi again, and thanks for your reply.

Sometimes the matching part is whimsical and sometimes it's quite serious, so people do see that time was taken to make the picture the best it could be and great attention was made to detail.

It depends on the particular photo or tv broadcast, like with the two First Ladies. As I mentioned, most times, photos are 'candid', meaning they were not set up in any particular way. If something matches, it's purely coincidental. In other situations, if the photo is set up in advance, it is good photography to show detail to everything, including the person, dress, etc., matching the background, or at least not clashing with it.

I'll try to find some examples of 'matching is more in', in this year and get back to you.

Warmest regards,
Cher
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Great, I will wait for that. Is the extent of that including things that look bad or quite unusual, not good, then one realizes it matches? I got a credit card with dark palm trees in the corner on a blue background, and they were curved and looked like a circle of trees and it was like a picture of the earth or a globe. Is anything surprising except it matches, is anyone going to the extent of posing such that their hair matches something brown in the background on purpose? Thanks.

Expert:  Cher replied 1 year ago.
Ok, please give me a little while to research this for you. Thanks.

Cher
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

And, anything that obviously would not match shown as matching, that being a point or the point?

Expert:  Cher replied 1 year ago.

Hi again, and thanks for your patience.

First, allow me to address the credit card you describe. This sounds like it's holographic (3-D) and made to look like the earth, as an advertisement for the credit card company, like, we 'encircle' the earth and can help everyone get what they want. It sounds like a beautiful design and it was done that way on purpose.

Unless a print ad or tv commercial is for a hair care or hair color product, I don't think the wooden accents would be used purposely; it simply demonstrates the look the advertiser wants to achieve. A blonde could pose with a darker wood color in the background and it would offset the lighter hair color.

I think you'll find this interesting: http://super.nova.org/DPR/Backgrounds/

I've researched re: photographers making more of an effort to match their subject to the background in this year, 2013, and couldn't find anything on that specific topic, only general suggestions for taking good photographs, so I don't think it's being done any more or less, this year.

As far as 'anything that obviously would not match shown as matching, that being a point or the point?' which you asked about, If this is being done with mismatched clothing and/or photos and backgrounds, I think this is done to attract attention because it is unusual and not 'the norm'. It will draw your interest because it is 'different'. Whether people like it or not, is an individual preference.

Warmest regards,
Cher
Cher, MENTOR/ENTERTAINMENT
Experience: TV, Movies, Music, Parties, Entertainment Industry Analyst
Expert:  Cher replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,

Thanks very much for your positive rating; it is truly appreciated!

Best regards,
Cher

PS: no additiional information is needed at this time; this is simply a 'thank you'! : )