Cher
Cher, MENTOR/ENTERTAINMENT
Experience:  TV, Movies, Music, Parties, Entertainment Industry Analyst
1470369

Can you say what distinguishes a romance novel from other types

Can you say what distinguishes a romance novel from other types of novels? Are they accepted by everyone or how controversial are they?

What is the popular opinion of someone who reads a romance novel

or romance novels, can they give a person a bad or less than good

reputation? And, are they acceptable gifts?

Hi again,Customer and welcome back to Just Answer.

It's Cher again, and thanks very much for your positive feedback on your last question; it is truly appreciated!

A romance novel is one in which a romantic theme plays a significant part in the story. They are not accepted by everyone, as some readers' tastes run more to the straight 'thriller', 'historical', or 'biographical' novel and some prefer non-fiction to fiction. Of course, a historical or biographical novel of a particular time period or person, respectively, may include romantic parts, if they are relevant to the telling of the story, but they will not be considered the main theme.

Some controversy may erupt over romance novels that are quite graphic with explicit references and almost considered as 'soft porn'. The successful and most enjoyable romance novels I've read, will 'hint' just enough to let you know what's about to happen, excluding the actual details, but readers understand what has taken place after reading on.

Everyone has different standards and different tastes in what they like to read, so some types of romance novels might be too explicit for some, and for others, they're written 'just right', so controversy will always take place. If a person always reads romance novels, depending on the quality of those novels, they could get a 'reputation' for only enjoying one type of novel, but that is their prerogative.

I would say they are acceptable gifts if the recipient is known for enjoying this type of novel and the gift giver is aware of the 'type' of romance novel the recipient likes. Giving a book as a gift is a difficult decision, because if you liked a certain type of book and wanted to share it with a friend or relative, unless you are sure about their tastes, they may not like the same type of book you like. As far as romance novels, in particular, as I mentioned above, they vary in their intensity and graphic nature, so you would have to know the person quite well and also, to have read the book yourself, to decide if a particular romance novel would be an appropriate gift and not offend the recipient.

If you need any additional information or clarification, simply 'Reply' back before rating and I will be happy to help with any follow up questions. If my response has satisfied all your concerns, a positive rating and positive feedback on the survey would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

If you would like to request me to answer any new, future questions, please begin your post with "For Cher" and I will respond as soon as I can. Thank you!

Warmest regards,
Cher