Cher
Cher, MENTOR/ENTERTAINMENT
Experience:  TV, Movies, Music, Parties, Entertainment Industry Analyst

My friend loves National Lampoon movies. For Christmas I got

My friend loves National Lampoon movies. For Christmas I got him a Hallmark Lampoon moose ornament. This spring he sent me a small can opener. What is the lampoon significance of the can opener?
Category: Entertainment
Expert:  Cher replied 1 year ago.

Hi, and welcome back to Just Answer.

Was the can opener the electric kind used to open metal cans of by going around the edge of the can top, a manual one for cans where you turn the handle, or a manual 'bottle/can' opener to open bottles or make a triangular opening in can tops?

Are all the gifts you exchange always related to National Lampoon movies?

Was this gift 'just because', or for a special occasion?

Thanks for all your additional detail.
Cher

Expert:  Cher replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,

I'm sending you a list of all the National Lampoon movies, here:

http://www.imdb.com/list/DLOsOhEqkLM/

I've research many and I'm familiar with most of them; the only thing I can think of related to a can opener, might be the movies in which meals or holiday dinners are prepared/served, like Vacation, Christmas Vacation, Thanksgiving Family Reunion, European Vacation and Animal House, if the can opener was also a bottle opener, since a lot of beer was consumed in this, and many other college-themed National Lampoon movies.

It's possible your friend just sent you a can opener because he thought you needed one.

Please take a moment to Rate with Positive Feedback (Laughing), as that is the only way in which I am credited by the site for my time, work and expertise.

Please let me know if you have any questions about my answer or need additional information before rating, by clicking 'Reply', and I will be happy to continue our conversation.

To request me for future questions, simply type "For Cher" to begin your post and I will answer, asap.

Best regards,
Cher
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the info.

He sent me a a small, hand operated Gerber brand "Shard".

Just wanted to try to ID the movie and watch it again before I saw him again.

Expert:  Cher replied 1 year ago.
Hi again, and you're most welcome.

Thanks for the additional information. I'll research this further for you and let you know what I can find.

Best regards,
Cher
Expert:  Cher replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,

I looked at the item, and I would guess that it was used in any of the movies that show beer or soda being opened, as I mentioned in my previous answer. My first choices would be either Vacation, Christmas Vacation, Vegas Vacation, European Vacation or Animal House. I'm sorry I can't narrow it down further for you, but beer/soda was involved in so many of the movies. However, one scene comes to mind in Vacation, when they get stuck in the desert and before he leaves to get help, Clark has a 'talk' with son Rusty, sitting on a rock, and he opens a bottle of beer at that time. Rusty ends up drinking most of it. Also, I'm pretty sure when Clark gets to the gas station and finds his family, there's a soda machine outside and they might have bought a soda and the bottle opener was hanging from a string on the machine and they used it to open the soda. Don't quote me on that one, as I might not be remembering correctly, but it's a possibility.

Best regards,
Cher
Cher, MENTOR/ENTERTAINMENT
Experience: TV, Movies, Music, Parties, Entertainment Industry Analyst