Martin, Engineer
Experience:  Fan of Cinema and Video Games
14666028

Has anyone expert seen this movie because i want to know why

Has anyone expert seen this movie because i want to know why they have a sexual scene in it it's not like the Japanese are like that?: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPIZhRl_F8U
Category: Entertainment
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome. Do you mean why in the story line or why at all in the? You have to understand the source of the work.

That movie was originally a paid per chapter novel distributed by cell phone. They needed something quite spicy with lot or turning of events to spike the interest of reader to subscribe and continue to buy the novel. After the success they made manga, movies, tv series.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Why do they have a sexual scene in it what has it got to do with the story line?

Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.
You mean the first time? It may seem early but the story does not mention how long the epistolary relation over the phone lasted. It would be quite normal if you ask me and i don't think Japanese are that different from other young of the world (perhaps even more open on the subject with that much Samurai gay literature and no Judeo-Christian heritage in the culture). In any case, remember that this is a work of fiction and like i mentioned, something made to have the action have many strong and frequent element to entice the reader to continue to buy the novel to the end of the publication.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi.

Yes i mean the first time bit and when she said soft pain what does she mean by soft pain?

What did you mean by?: It would be quite normal if you ask me and i don't think Japanese are that different from other young of the world (perhaps even more open on the subject with that much Samurai gay literature and no Judeo-Christian heritage in the culture). In any case, remember that this is a work of fiction and like i mentioned, something made to have the action have many strong and frequent element to entice the reader to continue to buy the novel to the end of the publication.

Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.
Soft pain mean that she lost her virginity (breaking of the hymen) at that time and also because the guy mentioned he will be gentle. It might also mean a mix of pain and orgasm at the same time.

About the other part i commented about and you wanted precision, i was just pointing that it is quite frequent that this exact scenario happen in real life and in many culture. Many have sex after just some months of dating.

Also, the Japanese culture is shy in general but at the same time is more open than the western culture on sex.

Also remember that the author wanted to bring a miscarriage into the story at one point, that is quite hard to bring into the story without a sex scene.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

So when you say virginity (breaking of the hymen) what do you mean?

Do you mean here that Japanese people aren't open about sex compared to western culture?: Also, the Japanese culture is shy in general but at the same time is more open than the western culture on sex.

Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.
"So when you say virginity (breaking of the hymen) what do you mean?":

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hymen

"Do you mean here that Japanese people aren't open about sex compared to western culture?"

No, quite the opposite i mean they are shy about a lot of things compared to the West but they are more open to sex or at least talking about it. There is lot less cultural difference now as the West is less and less under the influence of religious dogma.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

What is religious dogma?

Why would Japanese be open to sex if their shy?

Please can you explain how Japanese became open and talk about sex more.

Please can you explain basically what virginity (breaking of the hymen) is?

Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.
"What is religious dogma?"
Something decided as a verity by a religious authority. For example for the Catholic Church, sex for pleasure and outside marriage is considered a sin, especially if it is not with procreation as the goal.

"Why would Japanese be open to sex if their shy?"
Because like i said they don't have a Judeo-Christian religious base in general. The same way many African tribe womens may be very shy but don't care to expose their breast because in their culture it is considered as normal.

"Please can you explain how Japanese became open and talk about sex more"
I don't think they became that way, it is more that the West was also like that and got more restrictive over time about it when Judeo-Christian took over Pagan and Animism religions where it was a common and easy subject.

"
Please can you explain basically what virginity (breaking of the hymen) is?"
Loss of virginity is usually referred as the first time a women have a sexual intercourse. Usually (not all the time) the hymen tissue in the vagina break causing a pain (level vary from person to person).
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

That movie i shown you is the book a Japanese book based on that?

Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.
It is the opposite, the movie (2007) is based on the book (2005). To my knowledge the book is not yet published in English. In 2008 a manga and a TV series was made.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Oh really so it's a manga first then a tv series?

Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.
I don't really know what came first, the manga or the TV serie (both are from 2008). And the cell phone novel came before all those.

Here is a sample of the manga (19 page):
http://www.futabasha.co.jp/tachiyomi/smp.php?i=978-4-575-33332-9LR

Here is the many volume:
http://www.futabasha.co.jp/booksdb/smp/book/bookfind/?type=a&smp=2&word=%E7%BE%8E%E5%98%89
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

So was the movie based on manga or a tv serious or a book?

Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.
Usually, adaptation always come from the initial source material, in that case the novel. All adaptations may change or add little things here and there and remove some part.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

So is the novel Japanese?

Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.
Yes it is Japanese. The writer is Mika and once the cell phone distribution finished (2005) it was published as a paper book by Starts Publications (October 2006).
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

What's sex in the movie got to do with it?

Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.
It is a love story.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Oh so the sexual scene is only meant to be having children at a adult age in Japan not anything bad because it looks like high school people in that movie?

Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.
It is mostly a general habit for all cultures in the world to have kids only when adult. The reason is because the individuals are more apt to take care of the kids and because it is safer for the mother medically.

Sex in general is another thing. It is not seen as a simple procreation goal but also as a pleasure and a social bonding factor.

Yes they are in high school in the novel/movie. They are not 18 yet. There is plenty of kids falling in love like that all over the world at that age. Even if it is not the norm, it still happen.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

What does apt mean in the context of the sentence?

Well not a lot of Japanese people would have children under 18 since my friend said since he's in Japan.

Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.
Apt as in being able to perform the task of raising a child.

I never said it was something frequent. But having sex under 18 is lot more frequent than most think. No contraception is used in the movie, most use it but in the movie it would interfere with the whole miscarriage the author wanted to bring later in the story.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

So the writer isn't writing anything sexual about her novel and is it an adult novel?

Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.
No, you get it wrong. The author is writing about a love story that include sexual act and is intended at a general audience of teen and up.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

But isn't that a bad thing because it's giving people in Japan bad education and other countries bad impressions of Japan?

Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.
It is a thing better avoided until being adult yes, but a country would be quite naive if they think it does not happen there also (it happen everywhere).

Want something that give a bad impression of Japan:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Cove_(film)

Being in love transcend good and bad and transcend culture. It is in human nature at it's most basic.

Believe me, most of the world have a "generally" good impression of Japan.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

What do you mean by?: Being in love transcend good and bad and transcend culture. It is in human nature at it's most basic.

Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.
In nature, pure nature, there is no concept of bad or wrong. This came in the big picture with Manichaeism http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manichaeism

Would you say Romeo and Juliet make England look bad? (Juliet is between 13 and 14 year old in the play).

You may not like the idea that sex under 18 happen but that won't change the reality that it exist.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ah see your point now everywhere in media they have sex in it right?

Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.
Sexuality sure is more prominent now but this is a cycle. At many time in history it come and goes. At one point you have the very severe Victorian era and some decade after you have the hippie movement with sexual freedom all over the place.

In the case of that particular movie, the sex scene was required by the scenario and the scenario itself was needed to make money because sex sell well.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

If it's selling sex isn't that a bad thing because if people misunderstand it they go around being perverts and rapists?

Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.
Not really. Many have the same logic about violent video game. Thing is that humans like stories, any stories they can somewhat relate to. They might like to live emotion they would not live in their normal life, live adventurous life they would be too afraid to live for real etc...

The same way liking apples does not make yourself a fruit, enjoying reading about something does not mean you will turn this way.

There is always the possibility that pushing it too far again and again always farther can eventually help in the development of a deviance (perverts and rapists) in certain individual but most societies prefer that risk to having to live in a super protective totalitarian society that remove any chance of creativity.
Martin, Engineer
Experience: Fan of Cinema and Video Games