Ms. LLN
Ms. LLN, Entertainment Fan
Experience:  B.A. Radio/TV/Film/Media. Former record label executive, music museum collections employee and rabid entertainment fan.
70780333

I need an entertainment expert who works in entertainment itself

I need an entertainment expert who works in entertainment itself and has some experience not internet researchers?
Category: Entertainment
Expert:  Ms. LLN replied 1 year ago.

Ms. LLN :

Hello and thank you for using this service. While I am now a research librarian, I have over 15 years of previous and recent experience working in the entertainment industry in television, radio and film as well as the music industry as an executive. If you are comfortable sending a question my way to attempt for you, please do so, or I can opt out and let someone who better suits your criteria answer. Just let me know if I suit your criteria. Thanks!

Customer:

hi

Customer:

Yes that would be good but how long ago was you in the entertainment industry because you look very young?

Ms. LLN :

Not as young as I look. Less than 5 years and married to someone still in the business.

Ms. LLN :

I worked over 15 years in the business.

Customer:

lol ok so you know from you partner about the entertainment industry is that true?

Ms. LLN :

yes. music and film primarily

Ms. LLN :

but can speak to multiple categories

Customer:

when you say can speak to multiple categories what do you mean please?

Ms. LLN :

I can talk about some television industry, some radio, film, music, some theater as well. What do you need to know?

Customer:

do you know how i can get internships for working in the Japanese industry in Japan?

Customer:

movie industry sorry

Ms. LLN :

Do you attend college? Just asking since sometimes a good start for connections. Otherwise, I have other ideas I can look into for you. Make sure you know how to make really good coffee =) Also, you are in the UK correct?

Customer:

yes UK i want to go to this college

Customer:

next year

Customer:

let me get you the link

Ms. LLN :

ok

Customer:

it's a film and broadcasting course and the other is voice and broadcasting college i think it's easier to just say that instead of the link

Customer:

both last 2 years

Customer:

but am going to learn Japanese this year

Customer:

sorry voice acting and stage acting

Ms. LLN :

OK. If you have a name for the school, we can look into what they have available. But honestly, the best way to get into the business is being willing to intern (which you are) and finding and maintaining solid connections. However, as a student, you could speak to someone at your potential college about career opportunities via international exchange. Most colleges have programs for this kind of exchange with other countries, or know of organizations hat can place you. You can check out websites like http://www.thestage.co.uk/ for jobs and internships that may do exchange with Japan or a website like Study Abroad.com to see what is available http://www.studyabroad.com/programs/east+and+southeast+asia,japan/theater-drama-performing+arts+and+dance/default.aspx

Customer:

i want to be a movie director, script writer, producer and some acting in my own movies

Customer:

and the website is

Customer:

http://www.neec.ac.jp/cie/us/subject/cre.html

Ms. LLN :

OK, let me check it out and I will be back shortly. Meantime, here is another UK organization that may help with internship placement abroad http://www.ayoungertheatre.com/resources/internship-list/

Ms. LLN :

Stand by for more on that link...

Customer:

ok haha am so happy

Ms. LLN :

Good! OK, so you should contact the school's international exchange division they have via this link: http://www.neec.ac.jp/cie/us/international/index.html

Customer:

my friend said i need to know Japanese to enter the college

Ms. LLN :

I would call about the language requirement. Their entire website is in english and looks like it caters to internation students so I would contact them and find out their requirements. Anyway, I was a film major in college and can say that as a film person interested in writing scripts, be sure to take serveral courses or seminars in script writing and story structure. Robert McKee's story structure was a seminar I did that helped immensely with scriptwriting and how to tell a story and lucky you! He is in London this April http://mckeestory.com/?page_id=16#London,%20England%20Story He is the premier authority on potential screenwriters and hugely popular in NY and LA (and has been for a long time. i would also see if you can get some production assistant work (or even intern) work in the UK to see if you like the industry and get more experience. Every little bit helps.

Ms. LLN :

Did that answer your questions?

Customer:

yes but i have some more is that ok?

Ms. LLN :

Sure.

Customer:

my friend sent an email to the college but they said they don't accept people who don't understand Japanese since she sent an email to the college in Japanese and i sent in English but got no reply she did?

Ms. LLN :

Let me check now...

Customer:

thanks

Ms. LLN :

According to their site you need to take entrance exams for admission which are entirely in Japanese. "The entrance exams for colleges (Kamata and Hachioji) will be held six times starting from October to February. The exams consist of a screening of submitted documents, an writing examination test in Japanese and an interview. Some courses will test your practical skills. The entrance exams for Tokyo University of Technology will be held in late January. The exams consist of writing examination of Japanese and Mathematics and an interview. Please check the brochure for foreign students for more details."

Ms. LLN :

Perhaps you look into a local broadcasting and production program and then do an exchange in Japan? There are local school listings in the UK you could attend while learning Japanese and then transfer into the school in Japan or do a "semester abroad"

Ms. LLN :

Seems unless you are fluent in Japanese, you cannot even take the exam.

Customer:

haha lol yes exactly that's what my friend said

Customer:

whose Japanese

Ms. LLN :

I got my Film degree in the US, but attended a broadcasting technical program first and then transferred into another program where I was able to do some study in Hollywood then NYC. Of course, none of those experiences requires becoming fluent in Japanese. Have I answered your questions?

Customer:

where can i get a semester aboard from the UK?

Customer:

for Japan that is

Ms. LLN :

Just know that in the business, the more varied experiences you have, the better. Almost all major colleges and universities offer student exchange but let me check for you. Stand by.

Customer:

ok thank you

Ms. LLN :

I found a technical media Film and TV school in London. While they don't have a section about exchange, they may have assistance available to help place you in a Japanese exchange situations as their staff are accomplished industry executives.

Ms. LLN :

London Academy of Media, Film and TVThis school offers a wide variety of training in all aspects of media, including TV and radio broadcasting, film production, voice training, TV presenting, acting, photography, make-up, and digital editing. Teachers are often well-known TV reporters or legendary Hollywood film leaders. Some of their clients include Reuters, Discovery Network Europe, and Warner Brothers, among many others.
London Academy of Media, Film and TVXXXXX
London NW1 1NA
United Kingdom(NNN) NNN-NNNN626-5100
media-courses.com

Ms. LLN :

You could also check out Kobe University, which is one of the most popular International Japanese Exchange colleges in Japans with agreements with multiple universities. I did not see that they had a program you wanted, however. http://www.kobe-u.ac.jp/en/index.htm

Customer:

that's the one i want to go to this year when i move into London media-courses.com

Ms. LLN :

I think that would be your best bet. Plus, you would be in a major city and able to work and make lots of connections to further your career while you are in school.

Customer:

do you think i still need to go to the Japan college and the the 2 i wanted to do if i go into media-courses.com fast track courses just script writing, producer and directing and film producing?

Customer:

because i like Japan voice acting and stage acting course unless these an internship in Japan for that?

Ms. LLN :

You would have to speak with someone at the school to see what they recommend as I am not a coursework expert and they can likely come up with a plan for you. Course are important, but I think personally learning Japanese and getting lots of experience would be more important. You could just intern in Japan and not worrying about attending the school itself. it could be that the London school could get you an exchange with the Japanese school or at the very least help you find an internship.

Ms. LLN :

Another good option would be to check out the Japan Foundation in London which focuses on Japanese Arts, Culture and Entertainment and studies. Maybe you could make some contacts there as well? http://www.jpf.org.uk/whatson.php?department=art

Ms. LLN :

Have I answered your questions?

Customer:

this link you gave me is more to do with theatre which isn't movies?: http://www.ayoungertheatre.com/resources/internship-list/

Ms. LLN :

I was just thinking more along the lines of contacts or internship possibilities since they had a few production listings. Sometimes unlikely seeming places can be good places to meet contacts. They focus on younger generation actors so was just thinking along those lines.

Customer:

oh ok

Customer:

so media-courses.com you think it's the best in the London to go to?

Ms. LLN :

It seems like the one most suited to the path you want to take.

Ms. LLN :

Of course, having never attended, I can't speak to whether it is "good" or not, but again, seems like a good starting point regardless.

Customer:

the person you mentioned before is he the best script writer in the world?

Ms. LLN :

He is one of the most highly respected authorities in the entertainment industry regarding script writing and story structure.

Ms. LLN :

Not sure I could say who is the best script writer in the world.

Ms. LLN :

I am going to have to leave our chat in a moment and hope you are satisfied with our conversation today.

Customer:

i found a few courses british film classes online for a few hours but it costs £100's so not sure if you would recommend them or who to follow to write the best script?

Customer:

i will pay you some tips since you helped me out a lot

Ms. LLN :

Thanks so much. In terms of scriptwriting, I would say to start by taking a scriptwriting class and then follow it up with a seminar or another class as suggested by your professor.

Customer:

can i ask you some more questions?

Ms. LLN, Entertainment Fan
Experience: B.A. Radio/TV/Film/Media. Former record label executive, music museum collections employee and rabid entertainment fan.
Expert:  Ms. LLN replied 1 year ago.

Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. I will get back to you shortly.

.

Expert:  Ms. LLN replied 1 year ago.
Please feel free to continue our conversation. I will respond promptly.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Do you know anything about Japanese models?

Expert:  Ms. LLN replied 1 year ago.

I sure don't. Sorry.

Thank you for using our service. If you are pleased with the assistance I gave you today, please accept my answer and rate so I may receive credit. Thank you so much. It has been a pleasure chatting with you today.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Can I ask you further questions after accepting you answers?

Expert:  Ms. LLN replied 1 year ago.
Of course. You can ask questions by requesting me specifically in the question line. We are asked by administrators to treat individual questions separately to ensure proper dollar amounts are assigned to each question and enable me to send questions back out to other experts if I cannot answer. . Would be happy to help.