Michael
Michael, Entertainment Industry Analyst
Experience:  Entertainment Industry Professional
70951075

Travel Question: Spending several days in Philadelphia over

Travel Question: Spending several days in Philadelphia over Christmas with family-in choosing hotel,which section of town is most pleasant and safe to walk around to interesting sites,coffee shops,etc.(they refer to Old City Center, City Center, East City Center etc.
Category: Entertainment
Expert:  Michael replied 3 years ago.
Philadelphia is a wonderful family vacation spot with wonderful history to be seen all over. I was attending a conference a few years ago and had a great time viewing all the sites that the city offers. My hotel was farther away in the arts district so a longer walk to center city. Staying closer to the convention center gets you closer to the historical center of the city.

City Center or old city is the area that has Independence Hall, the US Mint, the Liberty Bell, as well as older building that have historical value in US history. I would recommend first to make a trip to the visitors center so you can receive maps as well as the layout of the city to see what you wish to visit first. The visitors center is right near Independence Hall.

When visiting Independence Hall, make sure to visit the second floor as that has the senate chambers that many people do not know can be visited. I was reading a sign that had directions to the upstairs and was lucky enough to visit the room that most people pass by without knowing they can go upstairs.

The US Mint is a very interesting building that you can see money being produced with many windows to watch the action.

The Liberty Bell now has a new building that offers a better view of the famous bell as well an informative talks from those working there from the parks dept.

Most of the hotels are in the center city area. Walking around the city is like most large cities in the US. Just need to keep an eye of valuables as well as knowing where your group is at all times.

As a librarian, I often recommend various travel books in order to plan your trip. The books from Fodors as well as those from Lonely Planet are quite good and can be found at your local public library.

For travel information to Philadelphia, here are sites for you to view before your trip:

http://www.visitphilly.com/

http://www.philadelphiausa.travel/

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/
Michael, Entertainment Industry Analyst
Experience: Entertainment Industry Professional