Martin, Engineer
Experience:  Fan of Cinema and Video Games

Where can I locate this film?Many years ago in University

Where can I locate this film?

Many years ago in University I found an old short movie in the university library that I am attempting to locate. It was approximately half hour or less. It was black and white. It was a documentary of a type showing the power and magic of movie editing. In this movie they showed you the raw footage shot of a cowboy western scene. Then 3 movie editors were given the footage to assemble and edit and the results were shown. It was fascinating to see how the same footage could be edited in 3 very different ways, some good some bad.

As it was a powerful demonstration of the power of movie editing I have been seeking this film for ten years ever since. Can you help me locate it?
Category: Entertainment
Expert:  Ms. LLN replied 1 year ago.

Ms. LLN :

Hello and thank you for using our service. I am a research librarian with over 10 years of experience. The first thing I will ask is where you went to university so that I might search their catalog, but I have also found something that may be what you are looking for called "The Cutting Edge - the Magic of Movie Editing" from 2004: http://www.amazon.com/The-Cutting-Edge-Magic-Editing/dp/B0009PVZEG/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Ms. LLN :

But please send me the information on your university and I will continue to look for this film in the meantime as well.

Ms. LLN :

More soon.

Ms. LLN, Entertainment Fan
Experience: B.A. Radio/TV/Film/Media. Former record label executive, music museum collections employee and rabid entertainment fan.
Expert:  Ms. LLN replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for your reply. I have watched "The Cutting Edge" hoping this was the film, but it wasn't.

I believe the film was in the library of one of these colleges (in order of likelihood)

1. Mount Royal University, Calgary AB

2. Langara College, Vancouver BC

3. Capilano University, Vancouver BC

Thank you for your help and I am very excited to perhaps find this film again. I really wish to show it to my class of filmmakers and my filmmakers group.

Expert:  Ms. LLN replied 1 year ago.
Let me take a look through some things and I will get back to you later today (it may take some legwork). At least we have ruled out The Cutting Edge which honestly helps. More soon and thanks for your patience.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Great! Thanks. It was a short film.

Expert:  Ms. LLN replied 1 year ago.
Still searching. Thanks for your patience!
Expert:  Ms. LLN replied 1 year ago.
I have been unable to find this film for you. After multiple searches, searches of the university libraries you sent to me, a consult with a film librarian and research of film education syllabi and resources, I am still unable to determine the title of the film and where to find it. I will put the question back out in the queue in hopes another expert will be able to find it, but if I DO come across it at any point, I will be sure to let you know. Best regards.
Expert:  Josie-Mod replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I’m a Moderator for this topic. It seems the Professional has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the Professional thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. I've been working hard to find a new Professional to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're OK with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, please continue.

Expert:  Josie-Mod replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your continued patience. We will continue the search for a Professional for you.
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.
I looked in the archive of the National Film Board of Canada to see if it could be there but i found nothing. Can you give a detailed account of that western? Perhaps i could find it that way.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for taking a crack at this. This is what I can tell you about the film:

1. The movie was using the "Cowboy Western" footage as an example of editing techniques, using 3 different editors to edit the same footage. Thus, the name of the western may not be relevant.

2. The footage from the western appeared to be from an American black-and-white television series. So I'm guessing the film was made in the 1950s or 1960s.

3. I believe this short educational film was probably produced by a American association of editors such as the American Cinema Editors (ACE) or perhaps the Motion Picture Editors Guild (MPEG). In fact, these would be two excellent sources to check with as they would likely have information.

Thanks for your continued help!

Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.
The reason i asked for the "story" in the western is that i may find the name of the western (as i am a big fan, i may have seen 80% of them). Once i have the name i could search for work that reference it in the credit as i doubt that they shot a western just for the exercise.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I may have found it!

While perusing the Wikipedia article "American Cinema Editors" at the bottom is the section "The Gunsmoke footage" used in editing instruction and refers to the program as "Film Editing: Interpretation and Value"

A quick google search produces this result.

http://www.worldcat.org/title/film-editing-interpretation-and-value/

I believe this is it. However, it appears to be only available on 16mm film. Is there anywhere I can view it online or in DVD or similar format?

Interestingly, a YouTube search for "The Gunsmoke Footage" shows many examples of the original footage as edited by various modern student editors, but nothing of the movie I am searching for.

Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.
Hi found it on DVD:
http://ace-filmeditors.org/product/2-in-1-dvd-combo/
Quite expensive, they make it look like the inflated price usualy charged for rental version.
Martin, Engineer
Experience: Fan of Cinema and Video Games