N Cal Atty
N Cal Atty, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney in California since 1983
9653905

I need help finding the right sort of recipe... Where I

I need help finding the right sort of recipe...

Where I grew up in western Oklahoma, we commonly had a dish everyone simply called "chicken and noodles". Nobody in my family ever made it, but if you ever went to a church dinner or any small family-owned cafe, which we did weekly, they had it. It was something of a staple item. We enjoyed it so much at our house that we often purchased a quart to take home since it would reheat easily.

I thought that I would try to make it. However, everywhere I look online for recipes, they ALL look wrong. Naturally, boiling the chicken is right, but the "noodles" aren't right. The more I read the more I am starting to decide that what I was eating was NOT actually noodles. The "noodles" we had were certainly made from scratch, were about 3 inches long, about 3/8 inches wide, and about 1/4 inch thick! They weren't egg noodles or long stringy noodles. The consistency of the noodles was thick and a tiny bit doughy (?), but were hearty and durable enough not to follow apart. You had to chew them, not swallowed whole.

Nonetheless, I'm not afraid to make the noodles from scratch. As a matter of fact, I would be willing to try a few different recipes to find the right one.

Can anyone help me figure this out? Even knowing what the name of this type of "noodles" is would help me figure out what to 'search' online for.
http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2010/01/homemade-chicken-and-noodles/
fits the description of the recipe you asked for, and links to a separate recipe for home made noodles.

Please let me know if this is not the recipe you had in mind.

I hope this information is helpful.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I will definitely try the recipe. However, the noodles I am talking about were about twice as thick and twice as wide as those in the photos. But since the recipe is so clear, I can see that all I need to do is roll out the dough a little bit thicker and cut them wider.

I do have a couple of follow-up questions: 1.) Since I have never made any kind of scratch dough before, I have no idea how long one "lets the dough rest" before rolling it out and cutting it up. It doesn't say anywhere in the instructions. 2.) On the link page to the scratch egg noodle recipe, the author is pretty clear about cooking the noodles only briefly, 2 minutes. But, of course, this is for a pasta recipe. If I toss the raw scratch made noodles in the pot of chicken to cook, won't they overcook rather quickly? For that matter, do I need to be concerned about "stopping" the noodles from cooking? If so, how exactly would I do that in this scenario? Or, is this just a matter of putting in the raw cut noodle dough and waiting a few minutes and then just taking the entire pot off the burner? If I do that, won't they still continue to cook and become tough? I would certainly hate to ruin the recipe in this last step after all that work...

The cooking time for thicker noodles will be longer.

In this situation you may want to do this as a composed recipe, meaning the noodles would be cooked separately until done, then removed from the pot and added back when ready to serve. When they are removed from the pot, they will keep cooking on their retained heat unless you arrest that by putting them into a strainer and dipping them into a bowl of ice water for a minute or two.

I usually let noodle dough rest for about 25 minutes but
http://leitesculinaria.com/40229/recipes-homemade-pasta-dough.html
says the dough should be bagged and allowed to rest at least 30 minutes.

The other approach would be to not add the noodles until the other ingredients are about 5 minutes from done.

I hope these suggestions are helpful.
Thank you for accepting my answer.