Ask Veronica
Ask Veronica, Entertainment Exec.
Experience:  10+ years as an Entertainment Executive and Industry Insider
64268913

I still aspire to get an agent and follow through on my life-long

I still aspire to get an agent and follow through on my life-long desire to act in some wholesome, inspirational type of vehicle...tv, movie, theater...

How does one find out about auditions in North Carolina or how to get an agent?
Category: Entertainment
Expert:  Ask Veronica replied 2 years ago.

Hi Martha,

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a Talent Agent. I would love to give you advice on the how to's. Just consider me your very own "Virtual" Agent !

I do need some information in order to proceed.

Please answer the following questions:

- Your age

- Gender

- Are you in any of the unions ?

-Do you have a professional headshot and resume ?

-Outside of theater, have you been auditioning ?

-Have you ever tried NY or LA or Chicago ?

-Have you studied at a conservatory ?

I love helping talent develop so the more information you provide, the better I can put together a plan of action for you.

I look forward to your response.

Veronica

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi, Veronica...

I'm 67, female, widowed and at loose ends, more or less.

I don't have a current headshot, but could put together a resume if I had a template or something to start.

Not auditioning. No local theater here, anymore. And don't know when/where auditions are.

No desire, unless legitimate and necessary, to try NY, LA, or Chicago. I hear there's quite a bit of stuff happening here in North Carolina.

Not a member of a union. However, did a little thing with Unsolved Mysteries in '93 and got paid a little.

No formal training except a class in college ages ago.

Have done mostly character parts in various community theaters, a semi-professional theater in Southern Pines, NC, the Unsolved Mysteries segment, church theater, a Christian music video.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Also, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I once asked a question on this site about my daughter, Martha.

Thank you for your response. A great place for you to start is in commercials and work your way up.

They always need a fresh face ! I will research your area and get back to you later today with some options. And yes, you are correct, there is a lot of filming going on in NC.

Is OvaJean your first name ? How unique. Nobody should forget meeting you !

Strong actor name.

Talk soon,

V.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX! I actually have a good voice for voiceovers, etc. Was told a couple of years ago by a professor/actor at a university that I had "presence" on video.

Perfect. I have worked extensively in that are as well.

V.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for, Veronica, for your comment on my name. Hated it as a kid, but realize it's uniqueness is a plus. People usually remark on my name.

I'd like to keep you as my "advisor" in this arena, if I can. How do I do that?

You can always request me by writing <strongCustomerOnly in the subject.

I am also in the Entertainment Career Consultant Category which can be found by pasting this link in your browser: http://www.justanswer.com/lp-1iqp-career-consultant

I am actually on my way to see a client perform, so I will post some recommendations later this evening.

We have lots of work to do !

Veronica

Hi OvaJean,

Which city is closest to you ? Charlotte, Raleigh, or Wilmington ? Do you drive ?

Is getting to and from auditions going to be easy for you ?

Veronica

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Happy Sunday morning to you, Veronica!

Raleigh is closest and easiest....just a little over an hour. Charlotte and Wilmington are probably about the same, timewise but a little further. I do drive, no problem. Have no issue with getting to auditions, normally. And I'm free to go and be on locations, as well. ( Wow. Thinking positively!)

OvaJean

And to you OvaJean! May I ask the origin of your name ?

I love that you are thinking positively. In order for a successful outcome to be

achieved,

There are some steps you need to take. You do need to have a current color

headshot. DO NOT pay more than $ 700.00 for them which is on the high end. If you

find someone you like for $ 500.00 that would be great. You will also need to put

together a basic resume. I want you to take a beginner on camera class. It will also

be good for you to network and be around fellow performers. I am waiting to hear

back if there are reputable classes in your area.

Is there a possibility you can take a trip to NYC ? There are a lot more headshot

photographer options.

The good news is the casting scene in NC is healthy and many are close by.

There are many on line options as well, but I do not want to overload you with

information. Let's go step by step and get your materials together first. i will post

back when I hear about local classes and I am also checking on some photographers

in your area.

Let me know if you have any questions and I am excited to take this journey with you.

Best,

Veronica
Ask Veronica, Entertainment Exec.
Experience: 10+ years as an Entertainment Executive and Industry Insider
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

WooHoo! I'm excited, too!

This area, the Sandhills of NC, that is Pinehurst, Southern Pines, Aberdeen, has a lot of people who have understanding of the "business" (some big time retirees, also) so I'd think a knowledgeable photographer would be available here, or in Raleigh, Charlotte or Wilmington. A trip to NYC could be possible, but would prefer not having to do that.

I really appreciate your help. Regarding my name...my mother basically said she "pulled it out of the air'' (an old northwest Oklahoma colloquialism). It's actually Ova Jean, but I put it together with the capital J as one word so people will say both names. The name Ova by itself is ugly! I had a twin brother, Orville Dean. Quite alliterative.

The on camera class would help me get over any self-consciousness on camera, wouldn't it? I assume it would help one to be more natural.

Once again, thank you so much for your interest and help. It will be interesting to see where this goes! Oh. I'll be away from my computer until late tomorrow.

OvaJean

Hi OvaJean,

*****
I have some exciting news ! There is an open casting call to play Maude in a theatrical production of Harold and Maude, I am not sure if you fit the role, but the specs are women 60-100 with stage experience, Call Rachel Klem immediately @919-698-3870 if you are interested. ******

I found a highly recommend class given by an agent in your area who has been in business for over 25 years. She has a great reputation so I feel comfortable recommending this workshop.

Show Biz 101 will be given over the weekend during the fall. Agent Jackie Pressley, of Capital Artists Inc., is the teacher and there is no better point of view than an Agent. She will cover everything from headshot and resume, who the major players are in your area, a list if Agents and Casting directors, scams to avoid, and she will advise you of legitimate classes that are right for you moving forward.

Course Fee:
$150

Location: Raleigh Charter High School

XXXXX Raleigh

Register: J Chachula atXXX@XXXXXX.XXX

Show Biz 101 given by a local Agent is the perfect start !!!

There is also a one day beginners commercial auditioning technique class on August 21st, from 6-9 pm. It is located in Durham and I am not sure if that is too far for you.

If Durham is doable, let me know and I will provide additional details.

After you take the Show Biz intro, there is a bi-weekly class with a strong reputation however it is in Winston-Salem which I believe is about 2 hours from Raleigh,

The class is from 6-8 on Tuesdays and Thursdays, open enrollment. if you feel like you want to make the trip, I will provide additional information.

********************Closer to Home*******************

Raleigh Little Theater
301 Pogue Street
Raleigh NC 27607

This Theater Company has been around for an impressive 77 years.

There will be a one day intensive audition workshop on Sept 15th from 2-4pm.

Cost: $ 25.00

To enroll, call:

(919)(NNN) NNN-NNNNext 235 or

Email: linda@raleighlittletheatre.org

Next up, I want you to take an Improv class and casting directors love to see on a resume.

Intro to Improv starts:

5 Saturdays, Sep 22, 29, Oct 6, 13, 20
Times: 2:30 - 4:30pm

Cost: $ 100.00

Contact Linda O’Day Young @ (919)(NNN) NNN-NNNNext 235 or

Email linda@raleighlittletheatre.org

Please know I researched many many classes and workshops and I found the above to be among the most reputable.

I love that you have the gumption to pursue acting again and I want to make sure you start out on the right foot.

Let's start small, build up your resume, and by Winter, you should be ready for the next step.

There is a lot more to talk about and do, but I don't want to get ahead of ourselves.

This is a strong start. Let me know your thoughts and questions.

Looking forward to your response.

Your "Virtual" Agent,

Veronica

Please rate me positively so I can be compensated for my time. Bonuses are appreciated but not expected.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Good morning, Ask Veronica!

Wow! You are amazing! I believe I can work it out so I can do most of what you've informed me about.

Tomorrow, the 21st is a full day, but I believe I CAN make the commercial auditioning technique class from 6-9. Please send me the info on that. Durham's only an hour and a half or so away. No big deal.

I'm printing this out for handy reference and am planning to take advantage of all the things you've presented that I can. Will call about the Maude audition after my exercise class.

Once again, I am thrilled and amazed at how much you've gotten going for me! Thank you, thank you!

More later.

OvaJean

You are most welcome and I hope you get to audition for Harold and Maude.

Play up all your strengths and stage experience. Maude is a great role to play.

The intro commercial class is tomorrow :

August 21st from 6-9pm
Cost: $ 75.00
Location:
5555 Rugby Road
Contact for specific address
Durham, NC 27707
(718) 344-6766 to speak with Heather

Please cut and past this link in your browser to register:
:
http://heathersnowclark.com/registration/

Heather opened her studio in January 2012. Although I was not able to get any references, I was able to verify her credentials and body of work which are strong.

I do have a message out to her as I want to see what she is all about.

My one warning is DO NOT get pressured in to signing up for additional classes on the spot. That goes for any of the studios you sign up for. I can see their schedules, and if you get a strong feeling for one of the studios, we can research further. I want you to get the most out of this and the best value for your money.

Let me know if you have any questions about tomorrows class, and if I hear back from Heather, I will let you know my thoughts but based on her resume, I feel good about it.

I also want to know if you got in touch with the Harold and Maude casting director.

Get some rest this weekend, because we are going full throttle!

Veronica

Hi OvaJean,

I hope you are doing great! I wanted to check in and make sure you are moving forward with your goal. Have you signed up for an classes ? Did you audition for Harold and Maude ?

Veronica
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi, again, Ask Veronica!

Been thinking I needed to update you. Maude had already been cast, again. Rachel said her first choice had bowed out and she'd already cast the part.

On the commercial class, I contacted the young lady and she'll be offering it again soon. Couldn't make it for this last one. Daughter's foot surgery, etc. Anyway, I'm looking to followup more on all your information. It's really been neat to have someone be so pro-active for me. Thank you so much!

OvaJean Siemens