Experience:  TV, Movies, Music, Parties, Entertainment Industry Analyst

this is a dance ? when judging aline dance competion , does

this is a dance ? when judging aline dance competion , does every one need to have the same size steps? My dance team has women who take really small steps it seems that every one else has to ajust to their steps. When I look at vidioes of line dances ,the dancers r not taking really little steps.
Category: Entertainment
Expert:  Cher replied 4 years ago.
Hello again Gail, and welcome back to Just Answer!

In line dancing, especially for a judged competition, yes, it is desirable for everyone to have the same size steps. This will ensure a smoother movement for the entire line and in addition, make your team appear more coordinated and professional. The basic rule regarding step length in line dancing is that it should be the same as the width of your shoulders. If the dancers take steps that are too long or too short, this may lead to loss of balance and coordination for the whole team. Remember, the line should 'flow' and if some of the women on your team are taking really small steps, I agree with you that an adjustment needs to be made, so that every team member is taking the same size steps.

Try to practice this and encourage the 'tiny step' women to lengthen their steps so everyone is taking the same size steps and this will give you an edge in the competitions.

Best of luck in your next competition!

I hope this helped.

Positive Feedback and Bonuses are always welcomed and appreciated.

Best regards,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I just stepped down from the group. The ladies on both sides of me and1 on the end takes extreamly smallsteps. I was told I couldn't hold my spot. the other 2 ladies on my left will not line with jane and my self causing the horizonal line to be off.I am new to line dance , but I thought little steps were not good looking . Can u tell me where I can fine the line dance rules, or how to line up, stand ect.
Expert:  Cher replied 4 years ago.
Hi again, Gail and thanks for your reply with additional information.

I'm so sorry to hear that you had to step down from the group, when the other ladies were technically not taking the correct size steps. You'll find another group where they follow the rules and be happier with that one!

You can find rules and other information about line dancing here:
(also click on the other links on the right side of the page for more info)

I hope this helped you further.

Best regards,