Ask Veronica
Ask Veronica, Entertainment Exec.
Experience:  10+ years as an Entertainment Executive and Industry Insider

If I found a $5000 casino chip can I use it to play at the

Customer Question

If I found a $5000 casino chip can I use it to play at the casino?
Category: Entertainment
Expert:  Ask Veronica replied 2 years ago.

Ask Veronica :

Hello and welcome to Just Answer,

Ask Veronica :

I am happy to help you today.

Ask Veronica :

Please let me know which State you intend to use the chip in ?

Customer:

In Nevada

Customer:

Are you still there? Not sure the chat session is working.

What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Are you researching this or should I ask someone else?
You can only use the chip in The Casino it was issued.

Since you are in Nevada, I am sending you a chip information guide for all of the Casinos

in that State. Please let me know if you cannot find the chip. Happy Hunting !

( http://www.themogh.org/cg_state2.php?id=nv )

Best,

Veronica
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I know where the chip is from. My question is will it be an issue with the casino if I just walk up to a table and give them a $5000 chip will there be a problem?
You can absolutely use it at the Casino where it was issued.

They will not ask for proof or date of purchase.

Veronica
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
What if I just want to cash it out?
As long as you have a valid photo id, you can cash it out.

V
Ask Veronica, Entertainment Exec.
Experience: 10+ years as an Entertainment Executive and Industry Insider
It has been my pleasure to work with you today.

Congrats on your find ! Chips are simply markers for

cash. You will have no problem turning it in for

actual money.

Good luck,

Veronica
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sorry, but I did not accept your answer because it was not accurate. I went to the casino to cash it out. They track all their high dollar chips and will not cash them out unless they can track it back to who actually won it. Speaking with other people chips higher than $1000 will always be questioned. I was lucky not to have been detained for questioning and lucky they did not confiscate the chip. Vegas casinos are not willing to part with their money very easily. Money mouth
I appreciate your follow up response, however, I respectfully disagree.

I frequently gamble on the West Coast especially Las Vegas and I am a regular at

high stakes tables. As of Jan 2012, there was no tracking system place in their

chips. In addition, 5,000 dollars may seems like a lot of money but for a casino

it equals about one penny in comparison to the billions of dollars they take in

each day. I have also never personally experienced or heard of a Casino calling

the authorities on a patron. Casinos want you business and they do not want

negative publicity. 99% of detentions happen by their own security and that is for

stealing chip, counting cards, using a device to win on slots or drunk and

disorderly behavior.

I do not want to provide anyone with an incorrect answer. If you give me the name

of the Casino I will personally call them and confirm that they have in fact

placed a monitoring system in their chips ( which would cost them millions )

I will then repost my findings for you back here. If the information you are

getting is from friends, is it possible they are putting you on ?

I don't want to see you lose out....

Let me know if you would like me to proceed.

Thanks,

Veronica

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

If you will read my response again, you will see that I already went to the casino and tried to cash it.

My deepest apologies and thank you for your update.

Veronica
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No problem. We both learned something. Laughing
Absolutely !!!! And I am really am stunned. I am going to to a bit of research and will

shoot you an info email if I find anything useful.

Thanks for being so understanding,

Veronica
As promised, I did additional research on this subject and I thank you for having

brought to light what appears to be a controversial issue.

My original answer was based on personal experience and I did confirm by doing

some internet research. Nothing about tracking or embedding showed up.

After our exchange, I dug deeper and I will provide you with links to the articles I am

referencing. This is what I have discovered:

Allegedly, the only two Casinos in LV with radio frequency id (RFID) are The Wynn and

Aria. This does cost millions of dollars and was instituted to prevent theft and

counter fitting of chips. It can also be used as a "big brother" watch program to track

your movements and spending habits through the casino so they can better comp

their high rollers and gather statistics. What is interesting, is that many "high rollers"

want their privacy and are against RFID's.

More common is an invisible stamp that is visible under a black light. This simply

indicates to the cashier if your chip is real. So, I strongly feel your chip probably

has an invisible stamp and is perfectly cashable. Of course I do not want you to get

in trouble, but please read the provided articles so you are armed with all of the facts.

Lastly if you found $ 5,000.00 in cash with no indication of who the owner is, it would

be yours. I do not see the difference with a casino chip. If it is real, and from their

Casino, they should be obligated to cash it for you. Please take a moment to read

the articles below and I really appreciate that you accepted my answer.

Be well,

Veronica

Reference Articles :

http://news.cnet.com/Vegas-casino-bets-on-RFID---page-3/2100-7355_3-5568288-3.html?tag=mncol

http://www.casino-chip.com/casino-chip-security/

http://forum.alanbestbuys.com/archive/index.php/t-642.html?s=f3571a84a551c9b97026d0a0225bfa1b
Hi Mr. Trusty,

Please check out my additional post on your

casino chip questions. There is no additional charge

and I think it will provide you with solid information.

Thanks,

Veronica