Ask Veronica
Ask Veronica, Entertainment Exec.
Experience:  10+ years as an Entertainment Executive and Industry Insider

How many people gamble on sports in the US? How many people

How many people gamble on sports in the US? How many people particpate in office pools based on sports?
Category: Entertainment
Expert:  Erdaram replied 4 years ago.

Hi, Welcome to JustAnswer! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will endeavor to answer your question.

Here are some of the most recent confirmed stats available on sports betting.

Sports betting has remained a popular pastime of sports fans everywhere, even despite the prolonged recent economic downturn. People turn to sports betting for a variety of reasons; some of them do it to escape their problems and relax. Others bet on sports for a significant part of their income, so a slow down in the economy will not affect the amount they wager.

In fact, legal sports books in Nevada report that the volume of wagers they take has not declined during the recession, although the amount wagered is slightly lower. They have estimated that the total "handle" on bets they receive has declined by about 5 percent, hardly enough to cause concern.

Here is the most recent confirmed statistical data compiled about sports gambling. There is no available statistical data on how much of this activity was conducted through office pools.

- About $2.57 billion was gambled in 2008 in Nevada's legal sports books

- Approximately 380 billion is bet through offshore books or with bookies each year

- According to survey conducted by ESPN, 118 million Americans gambled on sports in some manner in 2008

- 30 percent of college athletes bet on sports, and 4 percent bet on their own games. About 67 percent of all college students bet on sports

- Sports betting is second to poker in popularity of gambling games among college students

- About 23 percent of all adults bet on sports. Approximately 33 percent of all American men say they gamble on sports, according to the Pew Research Center

- A recent survey showed that 44 percent of 12th-grade males said they had bet on sports at least once

- Recent polls show 42 percent of Americans would support legal sports betting in all states; sports fans supported legalized sports betting by 55 percent

- If legalized, sports betting would generated an estimated $10 billion per year and $100 million in taxes per state

Above includes excerpts from &

Expert:  Ask Veronica replied 4 years ago.
Hello and welcome to Just Answers, it's great to have you !

Here is some information I have found on "office pool gambling." I hope this helps give you some perspective. I think it is diffucult to find studies on the subject as office pools are not reported.

The FBI estimates that over $2.5 billion is gambled on the NCAA tournament, with only $80 million bet legally through sports books in Nevada. That leaves over $2.4 billion in funds gambled illegally — some through bookies but a significant portion of it from people in office pools.

Additionally, a survey conducted in 2005 by the N.C.A.A. put the number of “March Madness” office pool participants at 30 million. More recently,, the online recruiting company in New York, published a survey estimating that about 37 million of the nation’s 140 million workers have participated in N.C.A.A. pools.

Read more: Gambling: Office Pools

Ask Veronica, Entertainment Exec.
Experience: 10+ years as an Entertainment Executive and Industry Insider