entertalent
entertalent, Entertainment Industry Executive
Experience:  Over 10 years in the tv/film/music industry,degrees in communication studies and business management.

What is the name of the film? All I remember is that a man

Customer Question

What is the name of the film?
All I remember is that a man had to leave his family home possibly because he was wrongly accused of something. At the end of the film, it is Christmas time and he visits the home and looks in the window at his family but he can't tell them who he is. Film was made before 1966.
Category: Entertainment
Expert:  Martin replied 2 years ago.
Hello. I am not sure about your ending but the rest remember me a lot of "It's a Wonderful Life" by Frank Capra made in 1946:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/It's_a_Wonderful_Life

If it's not the movie, just tell me and i will research this.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
This is definitely not the film. The one whose title I am looking for had a sad ending.
Expert:  Martin replied 2 years ago.
Sorry i looked at all the Christmas themed movie i can find and can't quite find something like that.

Perhaps it's an Irish movie? In any case i am better to opt out of the question and let others try.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It wasn't a Christmas themed movie. I just remember that towards the end the 'old man' was looking in at the family through the window, someone from the house came out to him and I think offered him food but he couldn't acknowledge who he was.

Sorry for such hazy details but it is about fifty years since I've seen this film.
Expert:  Josie-Mod replied 2 years ago.
Hi, I'm a Moderator for this topic and I wonder whether you're still waiting for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will do my best to find another Professional to assist you right away. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Still haven't got an answer to the question - thanks.
Expert:  Josie-Mod replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your reply. Sometimes, finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected and we thank you greatly for your understanding. We'll be in touch again shortly.

Expert:  Ask Veronica replied 2 years ago.
Did this film take place in the U.S. ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes, it did. I saw it on TV in Ireland sometime before March 1966.
I will try my hardest to answer this question for you.

Was it a black and white film ?

Did his family not recognize him at the end of the film because he changed his appearance or is he a ghost ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Well, we had only a black and white TV in those days but I would think it was a black and white film. Family did not recognise him - he wasn't a ghost. They didn't know him because he had aged over a period of time.
Could it have been "Scrooge" released in 1935 ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
no - definitely not.
Did this film take place during World War 1 or World War 2 ?

Do you recall anything else ?

There is a silent film 1916 Acquitted - Summary:
Wilfred Lucas plays a distinguished banker, falsely accused of murder. Though acquitted in court, Lucas' reputation is destroyed, and he's forced from his job. Like George Bailey in It's a Wonderful Life, Lucas decides that he's worth more dead than alive; thus, he plans to kill himself so his family can collect his life insurance.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No - it wasn't a silent film.
outside the law 1930

the wrong man 1956
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No - sorry but neither of those seems to fit the bill.
I have tried my best and done a lot of reseach however without more details, I do not think I will be able to answer your questions. If there is anything else you can remember to aid me in my research, I will be happy to continue.

Best,

KMR
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for trying but unfortunately I can't remember any more details other than those I have already given.I can't be sure of how old I was when I saw it but it was nine or younger (am now 55!!) Just to summarize what I do remember: -
1.Made before 1966
2. Probably an American film
3. Plot featured a man who had to leave the family home, I think because he was wrongly accused of something
4. Towards the movie's end, (and a long time has elapsed) he visits the family home at Christmas, looking in the window at his family. Someone inside comes out and talks to him but they don't recognise him and he can't let them know who he is. So film has a sad ending.
Expert:  Joan replied 2 years ago.

This is a long shot, but there was a remake of Les Misérables made in 1952. It was a about man who was sent to jail for stealing a loaf of bread to try and feed his family. This wa a very sentimental movie and may be what you remember because the ending is very sad. You can see more information about it here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Les_Mis%C3%A9rables_(1952_film)

Joan

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Joan,

I am very familiar with Les Mis. and it's not that particular film. The one whose name I am looking for was set in the U.S. of about the 20's/30's
Expert:  Joan replied 2 years ago.

The only other movie that would match what you describe is what Martin had already mentioned, is : It's a Wonderful Live" The key phrase in that move is "everytime a bell rings an Angel gets it's wings".

If it is not that one, I am afraid I will have to also opt out and see if someone else can assist you. Joan

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Joan,
It's not 'It's a wonderful life'. Thanks for trying.
My last try:

Il cantante misterioso (1955)

Some time ago, Luciano was wrongly accused by the woman he loved and sent to jail. One day he manages to escape from prison but is seriously wounded. Found by a gang of smugglers, he is taken by one of them, Paolo, to the house of Pietro, an old fisherman who lives with niece Marina, Paolo's fiancée. Thanks to their care, Luciano recovers although his legs remain paralyzed. Not knowing how to thank them both, Luciano decides to help them financially by going to sing at the village's inn. Gennaro, the local organist, who has composed a song for him, records it and sends it to the RAI, where a song contest is organized. Luciano is awarded the first prize but, as he is still wanted by the police, he can't reveal his identity. He has become the"Mysterious Singer"...

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi T.A.,

Thanks for trying but this is not the one. The one I am looking for was set in U.S. I think, but definitely not Italy.

Thanks again.
Expert:  entertalent replied 2 years ago.

IMDb is a great resource for looking up those hard to find movies: http://www.imdb.com/search/text?field=plot&q=WRONGFULLY%20ACCUSED&realm=title&start=101

I did some researched and looked for all the movies that had a wrongfully accused male character that had to conceal his identity. I hope one of these movies match:

-Cimarron Kid

-The Man Without a Face

-Il Cantante Misterioso

-I am a Fugitive from a Chain Gang

-The Wrong Man

-Blind Justice

-Mysterious Intruder

-Gunsmoke

-Sagebrush Trail

-Two Gun Man from Harlem

All of these movies and their synopses are listed on the IMDb website. I am wondering if the movie you are referring to was possibly older than 1966?

I hope this helps or at least points you in the right direction.

Thanks!

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The film was definitely not a Western. I saw it on TV in Ireland and it had to be before March 1966 so the chances are that it was made some time before 1966.

None of the films you mentioned seem to fit the bill.

Thanks.